That was frightening!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 29. Oct 2015, 17:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to bed last night and within minutes I had the most awful pain all the way around my ribcage, just under my bust line (sorry gents). I felt like I was being held in a vice and slowly crushed.

I tried laying down, and then sitting up but nothing helped. So I got up closely followed by my other half as he could see I was in extreme pain. I'd taken my usual pain meds (100mg tramadol and 2 paracetamol) at 8pm and this pain just shot straight through those meds.

By this time, I'd staggered through to the lounge and was sitting on the settee rocking back and forth. My partner was on the phone to 111 service - who I have to say were absolutely fantastic.

All this was happening about 11.45pm on a Friday night and the worst time to even contemplate going to A&E, so I was pleased when the 111 paramedic said he I was okay to stay at home as my pain had resolved by this time. I'd had no central chest pain, no pain in either my left arm or jaw. It's been put down to a probable combination of things - my current breathing problems due to my irritated lungs after my chest infection, the fact I'd been coughing a lot so probably muscles were protesting and reflux, (the reflux came into play as I'd taken some G*v***on to try and ease the situation and that helped).

I know they were clearing me for heart issues or aortic aneurism rupturing and as I've not got a history of either these were ruled out. They also cleared me for blood clot/dvt.

If it happens again they said I must get medical help asap and I had to let my GP know. When I spoke to the surgery this morning (yes, they are open Saturday mornings!), I was told a report would be sent through to the surgery from the 111 service and as this was due to chest pains the GP is likely to phone me Monday.

As things stand at the moment, I'm still breathless on exertion due to the lung issue and my ribcage feels like I've done ten rounds with a wrestler in a wrestling ring!

The guys at 111 service were absolutely brilliant but I really don't want to have to contact them again. That was so scary!

I've seen the term costochronditis on the internet which seems to fit with what I had last night, however, I think I'll get a GP appointment Monday and let him/her try to make some sense of this for me.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh my Graceb that sound horrendous .. i hope you are feeling a little better now ..

those guys at the 111 are fantastic iv'e had to ring them a few times myself ( mostly for my hyperactive children)

they usually do send any transcripts from phone calls to your GP , they are usually sent over quite quickly .

I hope your GP will have some good news for you on Monday and that it puts your mind at ease

Emma x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi Grace,

The first time this happened to me was seriously scary, so I know how you feel. The pain was exactly as you've described, but I was in the house by myself - hubby & elder son were away climbing, & younger son lives 80 miles away. I just lay taking as shallow breaths as I could, until it eased off. I went to my GP on the Monday & was sent for an ECG, which was fine. The whole episode was put down to costochondritis.

I've had it a couple of times since, and it is seriously not pleasant. I hope your GP can set your mind at rest.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That must have been so frightening Grace, hope you are feeling better today let us know what the doc says tomorrow ((((((gentle)))))) xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope you're feeling better. Mig
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Poor you, no wonder you were scared. I hope you're feeling better now. Please call 111 straight back if you get any more pain or have any other worries. Fingers crossed that your GP can give you reassurance tomorrow. Do let us know please! x
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. My ribcage still feels as if it's been through a mangle today so tomorrow I'll be queuing at my GP's at 7.55am (yes really that's what we have to do to get a Monday appointment here!) and I will see what s/he thinks.

I too, think it's costochronditis as it seems to fit what I researched on the internet. Having said that ,I take no pleasure in laying "claim" to yet another condition! Having chronic OA in loads of joints, and reflux is more than enough for me without more, thank you.

I'll let you know how I get on.

GraceB
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    That sounds really frightening. Hope that things are a little easier by now, and that you get some good advice from the GP tomorrow.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ouch, nasty. :( I am wary of anything affecting my ribs etc. thanks to bad memories of my childhood asthma. I hope you are able to get an appointment and that the GP can diagnose what is going on; please update as and when you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi Grace B, I was referred to the breast clinic last year due to a constant pain in my right breast.
    I got the all clear but the consultant said the pain was actually coming from my ribs, caused by my arthritis
    I didnt even know it could affect the ribs!

dreamdaisy we seem to have a lot in common, i also had childhood asthma, but unfortunately i didnt grow out of it and have to use meds to control it.
    The last few years i have needed a couple of doses of steroids in the summer months, due to the air quality, and noticed an improvement in my arthritis whilst on them.

Best wishes

Hips
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for your kind replies.

Saw GP, she agrees with the 111 assessment and feels that I've strained all my ribcage muscles and this was also made worse by a reflux episode.

She checked my BP, sats, listened to my heart and lungs so I had a thorough check. All okay thankfully.

I queried if this could be pleurisy (a suggestion made to me Sunday) - she said not. I also asked about costochronditis - again she said no as she said this is just at the front of the ribcage and my issues were all the way round. I have to say I'm still not convinced it's not costochronditis, but I have to listen and take on board the views of a highly trained GP who has much more medical knowledge than I do.

My colleagues at work today were horrified when I said what had happened and some expressed surprise I was in - including my line manager.

Still feel like I've been through a mangle and still got this blasted cough! Never mind, it'll go at some point.

Thanks again.

GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I remember pulling my intercostal muscles when turning a heavy mattress, (the double manoeuvre of head end to foot as well as over). Things eventually eased but I learned my lesson - I ask for help with that particular chore. I can turn our single mattresses over but cannot revolve them!

Just a thought: tiger balm might help if you are able to apply it. It's a lovely warming ointment and does help to relieve the pain of muscle strains. DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks DD. I've got the usual anti inflammatory gels and heat rubs and I find the shower certainly helps my lumbar spine when that's flaring. Oh and a good old fashioned hot water bottle!
    GraceB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, we're a few days on now, how are things? I hope you are feeling better and that things are not so sore. DD
  • GraceB
    Options
    DD, thanks for asking. My ribs are still slightly sore and I had another mini episode Monday morning first thing but just on the right side of my back. I don't fancy having that again!

I'm hoping that the remnants of my cough will also now disappear although that's still doing it's best to hang around.

I'll get there!

Thanks again.

GraceB