leg spasms

Options
emmaadams
emmaadams Member Posts: 140
edited 20. Oct 2015, 04:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all i hope you are all as pain free and well as can be .

has anyone else had any server leg spasms/uncontrollable shaking ??

I have had a few instances when iv'e gone to bed my legs begin to shake and I can not stop it . Either myself or my Husband have to physically hold my legs down to try and stop it . it can sometimes last for up to half an hour . I have also noticed that on occasion that my legs feel shaky and have a slight tremble to them most days .

I have mentioned this to my Physio who went a little quiet after i told him , but he didn't say what was causing this or what it could be ..Hence why im asking :)

Thank you in advance for any information or help

Emma xx

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Emma;

What type of arthritis do you have? I have PsA and a neuropathy but I'm not sure if it's not all due to PsA. The neuropathy symptoms I experience have never been diagnosed and I've been checked for a few things, including MS. I've had shaking, weak legs many times. It's usually very bad after I've had a virus. I take a prescription muscle relaxant for muscle facsiculations that I have all the time in my legs and back. It gets worse the more I do.

Scary isn't it?
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    this sounds scary to me. If it's something new and you don't know why it's happening I think you should see your GP and talk to him/her to try and get some answers.

Please don't ignore this. The reaction of your physio says this needs checking.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • emmaadams
    Options
    its happened several times now since my surgery in May . As far as im aware i have OA as they have not referred me to a rheumy. i don't actually know for sure as there have been no blood tests and stuff, if it wasn't for the Physiotherapist i wouldn't know officially that i have any arthritis .It was during initial questioning that i found out, as she asked if there was any . I told her that i didn't know so she looked on my Post OP information and it was listed as stage 2 early stage 3 ...

Ill be sure to ring my GP in the morning to see if he can get me in sometime this week , i have had several people ask weather or not its MS that i have, as i do have several of the Symptoms but it has not been looked into

i do have Server nerve damage so i initially put it down to that . i am on a high dose of Gabapentin for the nerve damage 1800mg daily .
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know all your details, but nerve damage could certainly cause weakness and shakiness. Take care, I hope you get it figured out.

Anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've heard of restless leg syndrome, I believe this can affect those without arthritis as well as those with. I wonder if it's this? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi emmaadams, i suffer with restless leg syndrome but i believe it comes from the arthritis in my neck and shoulders as the feeling affects my arms and hands as well as my legs.
    Its a difficult sensation to explain, its not a shaking as such, more an involuntary sensation of having to move the legs as they are feeling so twitchy and weak.
    Its a feeling that is impossible to ignore and can drive you to distraction.
    Not sure if this is what you are experiencing but wanted to elaborate on dreamdaisy's post, as i have suffered from this since my teens - long before i had arthritis - and had never experienced it in my arms before, but it is exactly the same sensation.

Best wishes
    Hips
  • emmaadams
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions :)

I have been to a podiatry appointment this morning as i have insoles in my shoes that needed to be replaced.. whilst i was there she did a prick test on my feet to check sensation responses . needless to say i could not feel a thing . she did both feet several times and was concerned to my lack of nerve sensation in my feet . she is writing to my GP to have me referred to a neurologist.

she is also requesting that i be referred to a rheumy as she is not happy with my knee that was operated on back in may
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    So sorry to hear that, emmaadams, but at least you now know that this will be investigated and you will get the answers that you need, hopefully quickly.

I really hope it doesn't turn out to be MS as it sounds like you have already suffered enough.

Best wishes
    Hips
  • emmaadams
    Options
    Thnak you Hips12 :) i will keep you all updated
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I get what feels like electric shock type spasms all over my body, there won't be any warning then a jolt in one of my joints. I've broken my toe several times on my poof because of one of these spasms! Hope you get it sorted out Emma