Muscle weakness? I am worried.

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 21. Oct 2015, 13:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
This has, seemingly, come out of nowhere. I've been back to work since the end of August; I'm working a 4 day week and feeling so much better as a result. My bloods are much improved and my RA has settled again after flaring up aggressively when I wasn't well over the summer. I'm back at the gym and, although it's very limited, it's more than I was doing. Yet, over the last few weeks, I've noticed that my leg muscles have got weak. I am struggling to get in and out of chairs. Worryingly, I am also needing to use my arms to lift my legs in and out of bed. Stairs are a just a nightmare. My legs look a bit twitchy and wobbly when I'm walking. People have noticed and commented.

I had my monthly bloods a bit early just to check and I'll get the results tomorrow. I've upped the pain meds but it's not pain as such. I'm not sure where to go from here. I will try and see my GP this week but I don't know if they can help? This level of muscle weakness is highly unusual for me. My feet and ankle joints are not in great shape, so it could be having an impact but this is a new one on me. I must admit, I'm a bit worried. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated please and thank you.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I haven't any great wisdom, but wanted to send some hugs (((((( ))))))). It really sounds as if you need to be talking to the medics, and I wonder whether it's worth ringing the rheumy help line for some advice, they may be able to slip you in to a clinic soon if they think it sounds like something that needs sorting quickly. The GP sounds like a good starting point, and if they are concerned maybe they can expedite a hospital referral.

You've worked so hard to get fitter and stronger, I wonder whether fatigue is an element of your present struggles?

Deb xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Sorry I cant offer any help, but I do think you should ring your rheumy and see what they say..., its such a shame when you are doing so well..please let us know how you get on...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't know what's happening and no wonder you are concerned because it's happening to you. I can't remember what meds you are currently taking but if this was me I think I would be checking the side-effects leaflet as my first port-of-call. I would also ring my rheumatology unit just to let them know. How are things this morning? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Get it checked out, Sophie if only with the GP. This isn't you and needs looking into.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    When I read the title of your thread I was ready to say give yourself a chance, of course things are wobbly after a flare and the muscles need time to rebuid. However, that isn't what you are talking about. I do wonder whether a bit less gym would help for now but I'm also in with the camp of get it checked out. I wonder if it is worth seeing the GP AND flagging it with rheumatology. It doesn't hurt to get them all in the know and helping you to sort it out asap ((((()))))
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Sophie;

Please do consult your medical professional about this.

I too have muscle weakness but it's not so severe that I have to lift my legs out of bed. It's chronic with me and no matter what I do with strengthening exercises it doesn't improve, it just gets worse until I rest. I've given up trying to have it diagnosed but that's just where I'm at with the medical system here. I put it down to my arthritis and have resigned myself to not being able to do much. So with my history, I also wonder if you are overdoing things?

Take care and I hope you get some answers from your doctor.
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thanks, all. When I say "going to the gym", I only mean 3 or 4 times over the last month or so and only 15 mins :oops: on the treadmill but maybe it is too much? After hanging on the phone for approximately 3 hours , 26 minutes and 15 seconds :lol: I did manage to get a GP appt for Wednesday. I'l start with that and then phone rheum nurse afterwards. The nurse is very knowledgeable but can be a bit brusque on the phone, so don't want to make a fuss over nothing.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hope you get some answers soon. Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Starburst
    Options
    I saw a very nice GP who did find weakness upon examination. She asked me to get bloods repeated today and to contact rheum nurses to ask for me to be seen quickly. She suspects an inflammatory process in the muscles, associated with RA. I was offered a trial of prednisolone to confirm her suspicions but it has a negative impact on my mental health. I think she understood why I declined. My main worry is that my mobility won't recover but I am trying not to catastrophize!

Thought for today; you cannot choose what happens to you but can choose to alter your attitude towards what happens to you.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Well done on that first step, and so glad to hear that the GP was understanding. Let's hope it's all arthritis related, and a tweek to meds will remedy the situation. I hope the rheumy nurse can get you seen quickly.

Deb x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    don't want to make a fuss over nothing.
    This isn't nothing, and in any case that's not something you could ever be accused of doing.
    Your thought for today, in various versions, is at the root of much of life with arthritis in my view, and also applies to all sorts of other conditions.
    Many years ago an acquaintance with cancer said her mantra was 'I have cancer, the cancer does not have me', to help not get submerged beneath all that was happening.
    I copied out 'If you can't change the situation, change how you think about it' to put up by my desk - irritates me summat rotten at times I'll admit but it's useful to have the prompt!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Muscle weakness is definitely a serious thing, Starburst. Please be careful not to overdo things while you have muscle inflammation, it can make it a lot worse.
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope this can be sorted out and resolved quickly.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich