Back from EMG test

Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 21. Oct 2015, 05:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well....
Definitely not the most pleasant of experiences but a very nice doctor and the consultant who came in to oversee the test was also nice.

All the usual questions to start with and a history and then as the test was for my arms and shoulders I had to take off my blouse, luckily I had put a camisole on underneath so could preserve my modesty.

He started by putting some pads on my wrist and fingers and then put electric pulses through, not too painful, more like a mild electric shock from static electricity but it was strange to see my thumb and then fingers twitch of their own accord! Lots of wavy lines on the monitor and when the consultant came in she looked and just made the odd comment.

The next part was much less pleasant. He had a very thin needle which was inserted into various points on my neck, shoulders and arms and again an electric current was passed through it, and then at the consultants direction he pushed the needle further in and moved it about. This was quite painful, and uncomfortable and my shoulders are very achy this afternoon. A couple of times the consultant said things like "listen to that" as it was quite noisy and once or twice directed his attention to figures on the display.

Needless to say I was quite relieved when it was finished, I will get the results when I next see my consultant in January, today I was just told that the test provided a lot of data which they will analyse.

Taking it easy this afternoon before work tomorrow.

Starburst I hope this is helpful to you.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I`m glad it`s over for you, Slosh - it sounds like a lot of needles & currents!

I hope you can rest until the aches wear off, and when January comes, that you will have some answers.

Take care.
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    That all sounds rather uncomfortable, Slosh. Make sure you rest and take care of yourself.

Meg
  • Slosh
    It was and I am
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    not a nice thing to have to go through ,I would rest up for a few days if you can...hope the results bring you some answers..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Oh dear, that sounds as scary as I was expecting. Mine is on 5th November, so I definitely shall be recruiting pocket riders. You are very brave, Slosh. Take good care of yourself, glad you are resting. :)
  • Slosh
    I'll come with you as an old hand.
    Going to be a long wait for results so I may see if I can get a cancellation.

At least the Dr was attractive and not the Rolf Harris look a like I had been told to expect...now that really would be scary.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I remember the sticky pads but thankfully didn't have to experience the other. You have my deepest sympathy, Slosh, that must have been very unpleasant indeed. I hope you are able to get the results sooner than anticipated - this hurry-up-and-wait malarkey we experience is most irksome at times. I hope you are feeling better today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben