Support from IDS?

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
Sit down before reading this.

I was awarded standard rate PIP earlier this year for the daily living element but got no points at all for mobility despite the fact that following a mobility assessment my LA awarded me a blue badge and I need to use crutches to walk and even with these can only manage a relatively short distance before struggling.

At the time I was suffering from stress and depression and so relieved to get the points for daily living that I didn't take it further.

However I am now aware that I am struggling more with my walking and that some of the reasons for the decision made were not correct.

Yesterday I contacted IDS, as he is my MP, explaining all this, giving my reasons why I felt the decision was wrong and asking for his support in requesting a late appeal.

Today I got a phone call from the DWP, he has passed my email to them and in turn they are passing it on to the centre that deals with appeals to see if they will allow a late appeal, and if not for my mobility to be reconsidered, I can't remember the exact term.

I will update you and as when I hear anything more.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well, well, well. I am very pleased to see he has read your email and contacte
    d DWP on your behalf.

If your blue badge was granted when you were in receipt of a mobility award which you've since lost do you have to let them know about the change? I'm not sure but best to check.

Good luck with the appeal.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Options
    I've only become disabled in the last couple of years so it was my first time applying for PIP. My mobility assessment formy badge was from my local authority. The day after I contacted IDS I had a phone call from his office saying he had passed my email to the DWP.
    I then got a further call that afternoon from DWP saying it they would consider an out of time appeal but if they felt I did not have a strong enough case for this they would do a review to take account of the changes, I can't remember the term.
    Had another call this week from the same person saying they couldn't do an out oftime appeal but were considering the new information I had provided to see if I met the criteria for an interim review.

I also saw my GP who readily agreed to do a letter for me to use for the council, when I collect this I will take a couple of copies and mail one to the DWP.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Sometimes you get a shortcut to a blue badge through higher rate mobility award but if it was done independently then all will be fine as you say.

Was it mandatory reconsiderations?

The mobility element of PIP is notoriously hard to get, in fact it is really not a good indicator of the mobility problems people face.

But good luck, hope you get a good outcome,

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Slosh
    Options
    My late appeal was allowed and upped me to 4 points. My case is now with unplanned interventions section. I have sent in a statement of my difficulties with mobility along with a copy of the letter my GP wrote in which he says I struggle and have to rest after 20 metres.

Just waiting now to see if they will award me standard rate.
    Julian of Norwich