Alcohol/dementia and teh over 40's

Options
frogmorton
frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
edited 7. Feb 2023, 10:11 in News Archive
Has anyone heard this in today's news?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/11943573/Go-teetotal-to-reduce-dementia-risks-NHS-says.html

Not so long ago there was an article (I'm sure) suggesting red wine protected against it!

:roll:

Comments

• frogmorton
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Please excuse typo in title....no I haven't been on the cooking sherry, (yet)

;)
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Mixed messages and conflicting 'evidence' and many of the comments on the piece raise the same issues. If the powers that be have changed their advice radically then they need to have a jolly good, easy to understand and scientifically sound reason for doing so - and share that with the public. I read somewhere that the existing alcohol limits are not based on scientific evidence... If the Alzheimer's Society reckons that a glass of red a day might be helpful I suspect that many(most?) folks would choose their advice over that of the confusing and contradictory public health bodies.
    The message I get is that because so many people drink too much, then we should all stop drinking. Never mind about other factors - smoking, weight etc and whether they might be as/more important factors. Use the bogey man of dementia to frighten people into doing what the state wants(this week - it'll have changed its mind the next, but hey if we're all demented we won't notice!)
    Apologies for rant.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Daffy I agree with your rant!!! I could have done the same.

Still going to stick to my own mantra:

'a little of what you like does you good'!

love

Toni xx