polymyalgia rheumatica

Geo
Geo Member Posts: 4
edited 29. Oct 2015, 14:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
have joined in the hope of learning from experienced adults who are or were diagnosed with this thing my wife is going through.
I have read a number of articles and the treatment and meds she is on are all there however she has been told of an injection that could relieve her pain ( buttock area ).
She is ten months down the road of treatment and is down to 5mgs per day of steroids.Should say she is 66 years of age.
Other than the PMR she needs a knee replacement so I am asking if anyone has had that surgical procedure while on steroids ?
Thanking you in advance for both the injection and surgery queries.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will find support, advice, light relief and friendly comments on here.
    I am one of the moderation team, we all have one or more arthritis "hanger ons" or look after family with the same.
    If you need help with the technicalities of the forum, just get in touch via a private message.

CK Moderator
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to search us out. I empathise with your wife, despite my having different troubles on the arthritis front we are all in similar and painful boats. I apologise for the delay in my replying, the forum has been updated and I am getting used to the new layout etc.

What meds is she currently taking apart from the oral steroids? I was on them for three years then spent a year withdrawing, they have a role to play but can bring their own troubles. I never found the steroid injections any good at relieving pain but for some they can be successful; I am presuming that the injection you mentioned is a steroid of one kind or another. If it works then it may stop the pain for a few months but it's likely to return because steroids mask, not cure. I haven't had joint replacement surgery as yet but have had other operations whilst taking various meds, I know that views vary from hospital to hospital so that would be a question for your wife's orthopaedic chap. I wish you both well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Geo
    Many thanks DD for your response. My wife started out on 15 mgs of Prednisolone and is now on alternate days of 4 and 5.
    She is thinking of the injection in the hope of relief. Her GP has offered amitryptiline and is giving it some thought.
    She visits her ( potential ) knee surgeon next month but there is a line of thought that steroids interfere with the healing process of knee replacement.
    We await the next few weeks.Thank you again, keep safe and well.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello there - like DD I haven't had any joints replaced yet, but when I've had steroid injections they have mostly been successful. I take amitriptyline to help with pain relief at night, and generally speaking they do a decent job.
  • Geo
    Hi there and thank you.Am pretty sure after reading your positive comments on the injections and meds she will ask for both.
    I have had both knees done and therefore understand chronic pain.Watching those you care for suffer however is more difficult as there is so little I can do.Thanks again.