Trepizectomy and sling surgery

Options
Lewi
Lewi Member Posts: 5
edited 2. Nov 2015, 12:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my name is Helen & I had a trepizectomy & sling surgery on 17.9.15 at Wrightington hospital. I am at present 7 weeks post op. The surgery was on my right thumb ( my dominat hand ) I am also needing to get my left one done too, but the right one was more painful.
I was in a half cast heavily bandaged for 6 days then I was put. In a cast for 3 weeks which I hated at first, but got used to it, I used a long handle spoon to reach the itch & kept it in the fridge ( worked a treat)
When my cast was removed I was shocked the effect the surgery had on the whole of my hand I couldn't turn my wrist make a fist or touch my index finger with my thumb, I must admit I was a little bit scared & thought omg what have I done. Two days later I could do a full turn of my wrist I struggled for a while on the bend down was ok but up was a little stiff but I'm getting better every day. At this moment I am now working on my strength exercises which at first was tricky I was given a peg to open Could I do it ( not a chance ) but two days later hey bingo I opened a peg lol never thought that would put a smile on my face Anyway anyone reading this please do not believe all the horror story's you read on this surgery we are all different.
As for pain I would say I've not really had it bad at all ' yes' of course I've had pain but I've coped. I am 55 & I'm 7 weeks post-Op & already I'm back driving so physio is crucial to recovery & very hard work!!!
On Thursday 5.11.15 I see my consultant for the first time & I think he is going to be happy with my progress. Then I have to get my left thumb done. I've still got a long way to go but determination get u a long way.
Anyway if anyone needs to ask me anything at all please ask away I think it's good to read a positive post instead of all the horror stories that's about.

So anyone having to get this surgery done think positive & work hard it will be worth it in the end.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, I am pleased that things are going better for you after your surgery, I think it all too easy to expect instant results after surgery because it's meant to help but healing takes time, sometimes a long time. You are getting there, however, so well done to you. I wish you well. DD

PS I had a double carpal tunnel op in 2012, that was an interesting experience :wink:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lewi
    Lewi Member Posts: 5
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello, I am pleased that things are going better for you after your surgery, I think it all too easy to expect instant results after surgery because it's meant to help but healing takes time, sometimes a long time. You are getting there, however, so well done to you. I wish you well. DD

PS I had a double carpal tunnel op in 2012, that was an interesting experience :wink:

Hi yes you are right! I did expect instant results why I don't know lol , I just didn't think having such a small bone removed would have such a big impact on the whole of my hand. & then decided to do some research I realised I was really doing well after reading a lot of negative posts.
    But like you said healing takes time!
    How are you doing now after your double carpel tunnel surgery ? Hope all is good for you :)
  • inlinedancer
    inlinedancer Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Lewi wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:

Hi yes you are right! I did expect instant results why I don't know lol , I just didn't think having such a small bone removed would have such a big impact on the whole of my hand. & then decided to do some research I realised I was really doing well after reading a lot of negative posts.
    But like you said healing takes time!
    How are you doing now after your double carpel tunnel surgery ? Hope all is good for you :)

Hello I had a Trapezietomy on my left thumb a week ago. It has been pretty painful. It is nice to read of other people that have had this operation.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello inlinedancer

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Just to note, I have deleted your first post in this thread as it was a quote of the original posting by Lewi without anything added.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi, I am 2 years post op on my right thumb and had a very similar experience to the others posters. I too was very surprised at how a tiny bone removal can affect the whole hand but it was definitely a worthwhile experience. I ski, ride a motorbike and can dumbell curl 7Kgs. Physio is crucial to a better recovery. Trying to avoid having the left one done for as long as possible although I don't want to leave it too long as the recovery is longer the more strength you lose initially.m