Humira without a fridge.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 23. Nov 2015, 08:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
One does indeed live and learn, well this one has. Yesterday lunchtime we were looking forward to roast beef but there was a pop and all the electrics went off, including the electric oven. After thirty minutes or so he traced the source of the trouble, the integrated fridge-freezer. It had died and, frankly, I'm not surprised. Having become accustomed to a frost-free effort I delayed and delayed the defrosting of the integrated model (which wasn't) so no wonder it went pop. The one in the garage died last month and suddenly, there we were, without any form of refrigeration. I hastily defrosted it but to no avail, it would switch on then pop all the electrics again. Dammit. We eventually had the beef and it was glorious.

When cleaning my teeth this morning it suddenly dawned on me that my one remaining pen of humira had been without proper refrigeration for nearly 24 hours. I rang HaH for advice from a pharmacist and was amazed to learn the following: a humira pen that loses refrigeration is good for a fortnight if it's kept as cool as possible. I am due to inject next Monday and can. They said that it would do no harm for it to be placed in a fridge so my neighbour is currently babysitting my jollop.

The lovely men from Mr Curry are turning up tomorrow with two new fridge-freezers, one for the garage (if you need an outside effort opt for Beko, they use a different coolant which is good for up to minus 15) and a replacement integrated one, also by Beko. Both are frost-free so that is definitely a good thing. I took the booklet for the integrated with me to ensure I could replace like-with-like and discovered it referred to a totally different machine.

I guess my message is 'Don't Panic! Don't Panic!' If your fridge fails then it's more than likely that your meds will be safe to use but please check with their supplier. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    When this happened to me DD, I was given different information, as the pharmacist to whom I spoke told me my pens would only be good for one week, as long as we didn't open/shut the fridge door continually. This was a few years ago, but they're definitely not singing from the same hymn sheet are they?

My situation was down to a power cut, so I couldn't take it to a neighbour.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Glad you have got sorted DD, it always seems to be around this time of the year that we have things give up on us.....I hope your new fridge freezers arrive today...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's interesting, Theresa, I guess as usual we are reliant on the opinions and thoughts of others rather than their direct experience. I am confident it will be OK, it stayed in the fridge, we didn't open and close the door because I immediately put the milk in a bowl of cold water so it should be fine. Fingers crossed! :wink:

Hello Barbara, yes they did! They are beautiful, all gleaming white and immaculately clean. The gleaming might last, the immaculate won't. I shall do a large on-line shop today for delivery tomorrow, there is so much to be replaced so it will be too heavy for me to manage. And I'm too tired. I shall pay for bags for the sheer convenience. DD
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Morning DD,sa****rys do a blanket charge of 40p for carrier bags.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thank you for that info, Mig, they are my chosen group but as the decorating took a different turn to the one expected on Wednesday I didn't get around to doing it. I am gradually re-stocking as little trips out to various supermarkets gets me away from Radio 2 for a while. . . . . DD
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I found out you could keep the humira out of the fridge for a fortnight after my fridge broke. I was also told I could take it to be stored at a pharmacy.

I'm thinking of all the times I left my humira injections at home rather than lug them around in an ice box when going on holiday when I could have just left them loose in the suitcase.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein