Microfracture / debridement recovery. Please help!

Options
sandy12345
sandy12345 Member Posts: 4
edited 10. Nov 2015, 06:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone. I'm new to the group, but a long time sufferer, with OA knee and ankle joints. The ankle, in particular has caused me a lot of bother, and in effect, has been ruining my life. It has limited range, and an hour on my feet ends me for the day.

On the 26th of October (10 days ago) I underwent keyhole surgery on my ankle. I ended up having anterior debridement, microfracture surgery, and duralane injection.
I was sent home partially weight bearing, and encouraged to move the joint. I'm worried that I'm not progressing well enough, as I'm still in a lot of pain, and can only flex the joint to neutral before pain stops me. Swelling comes and goes, but pain is and limited movement is the concern. I'm 27 years old, at a food weight, and have been following all advice given.

I don't really know what stage in rehab I should be by this point, so I'm really just looking to hear about your experiences? I know everyone is different, and that things take time, but because I have no markers to follow, I don't know if things are going OK.

Any help or advice would be most grateful.

Kind Regards,

Sandy.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Sandy12345 welcome to the Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Hello Sandy and welcome from me too.

I've not had any ankle surgery though I've had a few knees and hips. I've always been discharged with instructions to ring the ward to speak to the physio if I'd any problems. Would this be an option for you?

I wonder what the hospital physio suggested. Exercising is usually paimful but essential after orthopaedic ops but pushing through the pain barrier should only be done under supervision. I still think ringing the ward is your best option but, if you re-post on Living With Arthritis, more people will see your thread and hopefully someone who has had this op.

Ah! Spot the mistake? This is indeed the LWA forum :roll: Well, with luck, you'll get more informed replies. :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hi,
    I had left ankle arthroscopy (debridement and microfracture) 8th July this year. My consultant told me in September when I saw him in clinic it can take 9 months to see if this sort of surgery works.

As for physio, I was told "keep the ankle moving and wiggle it as much as you can". That was it! Gradually the movement did come back but it was very slow and even now I can't move it completely freely. My ankle still swells alarmingly and every evening I have to put my feet up. I had 3 weeks off work and although I could weight bear with crutches from the start, I was in a lot of pain, even with my meds. I still have a lot of pain even now and am bracing myself to be told I'll need this fusing next year. (I have OA - osteoarthritis - left ankle, both knees, lumbar spine and am 50. My 'association' with OA began when I was 39, I had a partial knee replacement at 44, my other knee needs a total replacement, I've refused a spinal fusion).

If you are concerned ring your consultant's secretary and ask to go back to clinic, however, it's very early days for you at the moment. If this isn't possible, see your GP. Make sure you keep your pain under control, rest and give yourself time to heal. Some people think because you've had keyhole surgery it's something minor - it's not. You need to give your body chance to heal and you need to recover from the anaesthetic - and these will take time.

Please keep us posted re your progress.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    HI Sandy
    I hope you are resting up and getting a bit more relief. I had a similar op on my knee last September and was really concerned about the healing time - seemed to take forever compared to a colleague who had a minor op on their knee for the meniscus - but when I saw the surgeon again he told me that I had to remember that 'some idiot has been messing around in their quite a lot' and to be patient. If memory serves, the first couple of months were pretty uncomfortable, although I was completely off crutches after 3-4 weeks.

So I suppose all I can say is, don't be too alarmed if the healing takes a while but also don't be scared to go back and check in with the surgeon - mine was more than happy to speak to me about it.

Best of luck :)
  • sandy12345
    Options
    Thanks for the replies folks. It really means a lot. Reassuring to see that others understand my situation
    All that was said post op, was that it was important to get the joint moving, and to only put partial weight through it.
    How far should I push the movements? How much weight is partial?- questions I should've asked at the time. Never mind.

I feel I'm being sensible with what I'm doing. Small circles and flexion regularly throughout the day, and a bit more of a push after pain relief. Nowhere near ready for any theraband or anything, but just working til muscle fatigue, and using my hands to help push a little further.l for improving range.
    Stitches removed yesterday. Wounds are looking good according to nurse, but have been bleeding after exercises today. No biggy, I'll go easy on movement, to not aggravate healing.

I've been out and about a few times, walking ok with toes down. Not enough range for a full foot yet! Much easier with a shoe on! Swelling is still pretty consistent. Nowhere near as bad as post op obviously, but enough to hurt and restrict movement.

Foot goes a Nice shade of deep red once walking too. A bit concerning, but not causing any problems thus far. Likely to be off work for another few weeks, so plenty time to continue improving.

I'll be sure to keep updating as I go along.

Thanks again folks.
  • sandy12345
    Options
    Managing that little bit better- walking on ball of foot as apposed to my toes, and getting good quality movement from the joint. Not exactly lots of it, but that little bit more than last week!

Getting there!