It strikes everywhere.........

Options
theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 9. Nov 2015, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
...........the good old RA, doesn`t it?

Having suffered last week the worst flare I have had for ages, this was accompanied by a constant crackling noise in my left ear, which became a real nuisance. When I had my bloods done on Monday, I asked the Practice Nurse to have a look, which she kindly did, but said I should really see the GP, so I was given an appointment for yesterday afternoon.

After checking both ears, the right one was fine, the left one showed no redness, so no infection, thankfully. However, the bit of the left ear which was supposed to be shiny was apparently opaque. Since this all came about at the same time as the flare, my GP thinks the three tiny joints in the ear, and the Eustachian tube, have been inflamed, preventing the tube from draining properly, and thus causing the `noises off.` And the culprit? Of course - the good old RA.

My CRP has jumped from 17 up to 39, so I guess when I see my rheumy next week, Humira and I will be parting company, after rubbing along quite nicely for eight years.

Meanwhile, the flare is at last showing signs of abating, so I`m hoping to be more mobile soon.

Comments

• Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello theresak;

I have PsA and have similar ear problem with arthritis in the small bones/joints. I hate the constant cracking! My doctor had never heard of this. It also distorts sounds, I find.

Take care, sorry to hear about the flare. I'm in one myself at the moment that's dragging on and on.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    (((()))) Tezz my sympathies I can imagine what you are going through as I know what I feel like when I have a flare with my neuropathy. Good luck with your Rheumy next week. xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm sorry that your levels are raised, I guess that is a sign that the humira has had enough and now can't be bothered to help. People are under the misapprehension that RA only affects the major joints - twerps. You have had an unfairly rough time over the past few months, haven't you? Hopefully a change in treatment will lead to things being much better for you, I sincerely hope so. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Well I never! I have, in the past, had ear cracklings but never thought that good old RA could be the culprit. I think the sooner you are on new medication the better, Tezz. I hope things improve soon on all fronts for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    He hits us here, he hits us there, that RA hits us everywhere!!