Hello

Options
JenniC
JenniC Member Posts: 2
edited 26. Jan 2016, 11:50 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I've just plucked up courage to join this forum hoping to meet people in the same sort of situation as me and maybe get some tips on coping. I have osteoarthritis in my spine, knees and hands, though its my legs that give me the most pain which I don't understand. I retired early from my job as it was impossible to concentrate properly which led to a prolonged period (still there) of depression. I'm at the point now where I'm almost housebound as I fell last time I went out and I guess that really scared me. So friends would be very welcome in my life.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear JenniC welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hello Jenni and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so low at the moment. Has your GP offered any help with the depression(such as anti-depressants or counselling), as that will be making it even more difficult to cope with the OA. Pain can happen in places not obviously linked to arthritic joints as a result of unconsciously using our bodies differently - 'favouring' the affected joint puts pressure elsewhere, and if you have OA in the spine then that is quite possibly the cause of the pain in your leg, especially coupled with the OA knee. It may be that physiotherapy could help you with that. There are several forum members(including me!) who can relate to you being scared after your fall - have a look over on the Living with Arthritis board for others' experiences.
  • TAH134
    TAH134 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Jenni.
    I also joined up today looking for support and help during this really scary time. I have osteoarthritis in my knees. One of which has been partially replaced (PKR). This really helped improve my situation. It was a job getting my consultant to do the surgery as I am only 50 but it did the trick until now! My other one took the strain for 3 years and has now locked bent giving me pain and discomfort. I have other issues going on for which I am waiting for results. I am hoping that my other knee can have a partial replacement asap to even up both sides, hopefully my posture will improve and both knees can work together rather than one holding up the other.
    I understand what you mean about the pain the legs - my legs can hurt all over some days and it can get you down. Painkillers really help but I am careful not to become to reliant.
    I hope you feel a bit better soon. I am trying hard to not let this get me down but most of the time I am fed up with it.