Changes to collection & return of Sharps boxes

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 12. Nov 2015, 09:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello
Has anyone had the change re Sharps boxes. The mtx needles are very big and require the large sharps box around 12" tall. I have now been told that pharmacy do not supply but I need to pick up at rheumatology department at my hospital. This is not a problem as I can pick up when I collect my injections (like today when they did not have any !!!) so means another trip to hospital next week. Also they will not take filled sharps boxes back now at the hospital and I have to ask my GP if he will accept filled ones, waiting to hear if they will. If he will not then I am supposed to contact my local authority to collect of which apparently I will be charged !
I have written to PALS (comments department) at the hospital to ask why injections cannot be collected and sharps box issued and filled ones be left every 3 months as that is the prescription I get not sure if everyone is provided with 3 months.
Just thought I would ask if anyone else is have a problem, Thanks for your time. Apologies for this rant but a bit annoyed at moment.....time for a cup of ginger tea

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I use the tall Sharps bins for my humira pens, delivered by Healthcare At Home, but when they call to arrange delivery I have to specify that I want the tall bin. I've never collected my meds from the hospital.

Hope you can get something sorted.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used to collect my meth from the hospital and they would supply and dispose of the sharps but then they changed to delivery. Now it's a real palaver for me, Alcura deliver my injections. I then contact another company about the delivery and collection of sharps bins. These are not carried out at the same time, the person who delivers will not collect for fear of cross-contamination. How a sealed bin can contaminate I do not know. All-in-all I have to stay in on three occasions for something which HaH do for my humira in one smooth move.

I hope your local pharmacy and / or GP will be helpful - mine won't deal with me at all because they do not deliver the meth. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am still waiting to hear from my GP. I just cannot understand why they make things so difficult and why they change a system that was working but most annoyingly they give no explanation as to why they are changing. It seems to make sense to me to have 1 department deal with all 3 issues, collection of injections, supplying sharps bin and receiving full bin. Maybe I am expecting too much !!!! Thanks again