Deep Heat patches

Options
PetiteN
PetiteN Member Posts: 87
edited 16. Nov 2015, 20:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I wondered if any of you have used Deep Heat patches and gel before?

I'm currently in the middle of the worst flare of my joints for years, and today was difficult, I can't take pain relief medication, and was wondering whether to try deep heat patches and gel, as something to keep in my handbag/car etc!

I noticed there are different brands, and wondered if any of you have had any positive benefit from them?

Comments

• TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    There was a tv programme about this recently (where it was saying what medicines actually work/ are worth buying eg it found honey and lemon better for sore throats then throat lozenges!)
    The conclusion was they only heat a very superficial layer so don't do anything therapeutically (though may be a distraction)
    They suggested hot baths or heat pads for muscle ache or cold baths/packs for inflammation.
    They had marathon runners going straight into either a cold or hot bath....both ached less days later than runners who delayed heat ytreatment/didn't have any.
    I don't know if this help?
    Personally i don't find those heat pads hot enough to do anything 9or the cold packs cold enough) but I do use hot water bottles and a hot neck wrap for muscle aches
    Good luck
    Trisha
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I saw the same programme so can second this. As well as wheat packs check out "hotties", they contain a gel and you heat in the microwave but keep their heat better, I have a back one which is great, you put it in a pouch after heating and then wrap it round and fasten with velcro.
    Good luck in finding something that helps and I hope you start to feel better soon
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've tried various heat patches and now don't bother, I found the relief minimal and not worth the expense. These are for those who play at having aches and pains, us seasoned professionals require something far better which ain't been invented yet. :wink: I prefer a hottie but because I am usually in a muck sweat thanks to pain and/or meds I very rarely use one.

I do occasionally use Voltarol gel but not if I've taken a diclofenac. Again the benefit is short-lasting and limited ( I have yet to achieve anything like the little old lady with a cat who can kneel, play with her grandchildren and go out dancing - mere amateur on the pain-front if she's sorted by a squirt of gel) but it makes me feel as though I am being pro-active in dealing with the pain. That is an important aspect of dealing with chronic pain. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Yes try Hotties. I find the heat patches not very hot and they are expensive for something you throw away. Hotties last for years and are fabulous, in fact I have wrapped round me now. Have had these since 2008 and I'm only on my second one. You can buy them online.
    Best wishes.
  • PetiteN
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

You've confirmed what I suspected really, so I don't think I'll waste money.

I use wheat packs at home alot, I'll definitely check out hotties! (Good name ;-) )

We don't have a microwave at work, so I will have to continue to manage. Luckily it's a pretty warm environment which is something at least.

Thankyou, my Rheum team are trying everything they can to help. I had another depo steroid injection yesterday.
    Hopefully it'll do something :-)
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    One thing you could do is to heat one up before you leave home. They stay hot for several hours so should last until mid morning which may help if you suffer with morning stiffness. Perhaps also ask work if there is any chance of a microwave for this purpose - they may be happy to help in the circumstances.
  • TrishaW
    TrishaW Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm going to try hotties too!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I have a small microwave in my office which I got specifically for heating up my wheat bag at work.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I bought some and read the instructions which contained a warning for those with RA so I gave them away.
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    Options
    hi i use a ibuprofen gel that i have prescribed from my GP it does help out occasionally . it is the max strength one i use it on my knees.hips and back .. if im having a really bad flare than i will normally get a hot water bottle or shower to relieve the pain this usually helps for a little while xx

i will be having a look out foe these Hotties though they sound like they might be worth a buy . i do hope you feel better soon

Emma xx
  • PetiteN
    Options
    Thanks everyone,

Unfortunately I can't take nsaids, ie voltarol or ibuprofen gel, but Ive had a look online this weekend at hotties so I'll try those :-)

I'm gradually increasing my azathioprine, I haven't been on it long, so hopefully that will help the flare in time.

Hope you've all had an ok weekend.
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hi
    I too love my back hottie - in a lovely velcro case. I like to think it looks like a stylish tartan cumberband :lol::lol:
    I've also discovered a knee version at the pharmacy (a Lloyds one, I think) which will stay in place as long as you aren't moving around too much, and let's be honest, who among us moves quickly? :-) I heat it in the microwave for 1 minute and it's warm for a while, so you could at least use in the morning, i suppose. The velcro can make a bit of a mess of tights thought... Disposable ones are ok, but very expensive and as the others have said not that hot. My little knee pad also goes in the freezer so can be used for swelling if I've been a bit over-enthusiastic.

Hope you get some relief
    x