Flu and Cold after having Flu jab and Methotrexate

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 19. Nov 2015, 03:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning all
Has anyone had cold and flu after flue jab. Again this has happened my second year, last year I had flu and pneumonia jab. Had jab on 3 October this year, went down with very bad loose cold a week later until 5 November to clear (I did not feel ill just went through mounds of tissues). I just took paracetamol. Then last night I woke at 1am with scratchy throat, chesty cough, chills, sweats, nausea, headache and generally feeling awful. As I have had these symptoms of chest infection before I was lucky to have antibiotics in the cupboard which Consultant gave me for emergency if this happened over a weekend. I have started these from 6am this morning. Am due to see GP next week. Just wondered if this is the norm after flu jab when on MTX. I have never in my life (I am 70) had so many colds and chesty coughs since being on MTX. I am careful with handwashing and all other things to avoid catching germs. Sorry another early morning moan but thanks for listening.

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, I`m sorry I can`t help - thankfully my flu jabs have always been fine, with no after-effects or colds etc. Hope you feel better soon.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Valde,

Sorry you're feeling rough. I sometimes have had a few 'off'days post flu jab, but not routinely, and my GP suggests it's probably when you were already brewing a cold quite coincidentally. I have to say I had absolutely no ill effects this year, not even a sore arm.

As for chest infections, yes I got loads when first on methotrexate, and gave it up for 3 years until I retired from teaching, though I get less now and tend to avoid people if I know they are unwell. I had a series of blood tests via the rheumatologist which discovered that I lacked a particular antibody to resist chest infections, this was remedied with a course of 2 or 3 injections (I forget exactly) of that particular antibody which seemed to make a difference. It might be worth talking to your consultant about.

Hope you feel better soon, stay warm and well hydrated.

Deb x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Sorry cant help either Valde, I have been ok also and have been lucky not to catch anything since I have been on Meth although I have lost quite a bit of hair. Hope the antibios do the trick and you are feeling better soon xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks to all your replies are appreciated.
    I am seeing my GP on Thursday and will mention the antibodies. I don't see my Consultant until January and I cant see me getting an earlier appointment and even if I did I would not be allowed in the hospital as they immediately say on the phone to stay away if you have colds, flu !
    I have got thinning hair and lose less now than when I first went on mtx so hope thats settled down now.
    Thanks again
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hi Valde;

Sorry you are feeling bad. I've never had flu-like symptoms after my shot until this year when I got a mild version of it about four days later. No chest infection, thankfully.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As the flu jab is inert it won't cause the infection. It's more than likely that you were brewing a cold before you had the jab - when immuno-suppressed we are far slower to produce symptoms because our immune system doesn't fire up at the first sign of trouble. I hope the anti-bios are helping but if it is an entrenched cold then they may not do much at all, you're far better off with paracetamol and lots of fluids. I hope you are feeling at least a little better today. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Boomer13
    Options
    The listed side-effects include include aches and low-grade fever. My reaction to the shot lasted a couple of days and in no way resembled a regular virus.

I hope you are feeling better now, Valde.
  • Boomer13
    Options
    Just realized that a side-effect of "aches" could be meaningless to us arthritics. I'm not awake yet, apparently :roll: I don't if it's my imagination or not but I always feel flu-aches are slightly different than PsA/OA joints' pain.
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks all
    Unfortunately I feel no better today. Coughing all night so sides are aching as if I have ten rounds with tyson. Taking on board lots of water and will take the full 7 days antibi because of chest but am also taking paracetamol which GP said was OK. This is the 3rd day in PJs so getting really fed up. Having to miss out on Christmas light up with little grandson tonight ...disappointed.
    I am seriously giving thought to discussing stopping mtx to try to get my immune system back on track. I have never had so many colds and chest infections since mtx (2 years) and this lot has really pulled me down.
    Has anyone on here come off of mtx and if so what else can be taken for the RA. Looking for ideas/advice before I see my GP on Thursday. Thanks for your time
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Getting your immune 'back on track' will help the RA to have a good go at you, so there's probably not much to be gained there. There are other meds such as leflunonmide but they work in the same way as meth - it could be, however, that they might suit you better. That is something to talk to your rheumatologist about. I developed a rash on tablet meth so was switched to leflunomide - that gave me glorious headaches so I came off that. Then it was cyclosporine, that made me hairy (which didn't bother me) but it didn't tackle the PsA (which did). :roll:

I am on a triple system of immuno-suppressants but rarely have a cold or sniffle. I wouldn't describe myself as a clean freak but my bag always has wipes and hand gel within, and I wash my hands as soon as I get in, even if I've only been to the bins. This must be very frustrating for you, Valde, I remember my early years of trying this, that and the other and getting nowhere. DD
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you
    I understand what you are saying DD about coming off the mtx and I know you re right, problem is I know it has helped the RA so am reluctant but each cold and infection brings me down more. Today I have felt a bit better and managed to get more or longer sleeps between coughing. I think I am suffering sleep deprevation as well as feeling sorry for myself. I just hope tonight will give me more sleep. My trouble is I put all down to the mtx and thats probably wrong. I am seeing GP on Thursday but know he will not change RA meds because he will not go over the head of the consultant and I don't see him until January. Thanks to all for your advice and friendship because when I feel low I know if I come on this forum there is always someone who will listen because they know what its like. Thanks you
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is tempting to blame the meds for all sorts of things, and sometimes they are the culprit, but sometimes they are not. Boost your hand hygiene routines, especially when out and about - I had a checkout man caught by surprise with an expansive sneeze which rained over my goods on the conveyor. He (and others) watched in amazement as I anti-bac wiped all their surfaces and the conveyor on my side of the till. 'I don't want your germs,' I said in a matter-of-fact way with a grin.

Your GP cannot change the meth or anything else that the hospital prescribes in that league. He might, however, be able to increase your folic acid as that is a supplement.

I'm off to hunt for my pain relief: the house is upside down thanks to being decorated and I don't know where I've put them. Yikes! DD
  • valde
    Options
    Thanks for the advice DD
    My neighbour got me a supply of anti bac hand wipes today so that has been my job around the house, computer and phone. I have also put in my 2 handbags I use when I go out.
    What exactly does folic acid do ? I am only on 1 a week, I will ask GP tomorrow.
    Have not been out since last Wednesday and will have to fight this awful rain and wind at 8.30 for GP tomorrow !
    Hope you found your pain killers and are feeling better. Have a good evening, thanks
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Folic acid supports the body to help it deal with potential side-effects from the meth. I'm supposed to take one a week but I often forget - so far so good for good for me :wink: I suspect yours should be increased as you are having so much trouble (remember though that I am no a doc) so contact your rheumatology unit and ask if this is something the GP could do on their behalf.

I found the pain relief so that's helped a little. I've done my meth and shall humira tomorrow which might help a little more. DD