Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

ESA whilst studying

Cazaline87Cazaline87 Member Posts: 7
Hey does anyone here claim ESA but study at the same time? I've been on ESA since January but started studying at college last month only 2 hours Monday, 2 1/2 hours Tuesday and 8 hours Thursday. I have RA and mental health problems but I'm having an assessment, the work capability one I think in two weeks and I'm worried they'll say if I can study then I can work. I simple cannot do both at the same time and even if I did work then I'd never be able to earn as much I would get in ESA and I run the risk of making my health worse.

The whole point I'm doing this course is so I can become a Teacher and get back into work but it will be another 2 1/2 years before the end of my study and even then I would only ever work part time.

Anyone had similar experiences? I just want to be prepared in advance for my ESA meeting as I can't afford to have them take it away.

Thanks in advance!

Caroline

Comments

• As5567As5567 Member Posts: 665
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I was claiming ESA while studying full time at university. The amount I received was reduced in accordance to my income (Student loan)

If I remember correctly, to be eligible to claim ESA whilst in education you must be studying either a higher education course at a college or studying at a university. I don't remember if the amount of hours studying made a difference. You must also be on the middle/higher rate care of DLA or claiming PIP care component. Without claiming DLA/PIP it wasn't possible to claim.

That was back in 2013/14 while I was in university, I'm not sure if anything has changed right now but I do remember that most people at the DWP don't know much about this and will get someone who's able to deal with your claim to call you back.