Pocket duties, please?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 25. Nov 2015, 15:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've got a rheumatology appointment next Wednesday, earlier than I thought so I am pleased about that. The last time I saw her was in March. When I went back to my GP two weeks ago, she (the GP) wrote to the rheumatologist, who then wrote to me and said she would be happy to see me again. I got the appointment letter this morning.

I'm hoping to discuss the fibromyalgia and overall pain - shoulder pain has developed since I last saw her - which I'm struggling with at the moment, and maybe she will adjust my medication.

I may also get further injections into the bilateral trochanteric bursitis, which is painful again, as are both thumb joints. She injected both of them last time, but did say that the operation was quite successful, so I might want to think about that. Over the past few years, I've had six injections, so far, into my left thumb, but only one into my right, so I'm not sure what she will want to do now.

Anybody free on Wednesday afternoon would be very welcome to hop into my pocket.

Meg

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Meg,
    Hi, I'll come with you. I hope the appointment goes well and that you get some relief as a consequence.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Count me in. Mig
  • emmaadams
    emmaadams Member Posts: 140
    hi meg count me in .. i hope all goes well with your appointment xx
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Count me in too!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I won't be around but I'll be thinking of you and hope it's a positive appointment. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    That's a date! Hope it goes OK.
    slomo
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hi Megrose, I`ve just replied to your pm.

I wish you luck for the appointment, but will be on holiday for a few days from Sunday, so would struggle to be in your pocket.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Count me in Meg hope it goes well xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Thank you all so much. I'll let you know how I get on.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'll be there. I hope all goes well.

(Sorry I'm late onto this, Megrose. Jet lag :roll: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Count me in! I'll squeeze in your pocket!
  • stickywicket
    Thinking of you, megrose. I hope all goes well.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Thanks Sticky. Well, I had hoped that it would be review of where I am with the fibro, OA and bursitis,as the rheumatologist had said in her letter. However, the rheumatologist said she couldn't review anything, as it was an injection clinic. So, I had to choose which hip was worse and this was the one she injected. I asked about my thumbs, but she couldn't do them! I also mentioned that I have now have shoulder pain. She sympathised, but couldn't examine me. She did, however, send me for bloods.

A little confused, as the last time I went to the same clinic, she injected both hips and both thumbs. So, now, with only one hip injected, I'm lopsided!

She said she would write to my GP and ask if she wanted to refer me back to rheumatology for a normal appointment. I've made a GP appointment for 16 December and hope to discuss it all with her.

I think my problem is that I need help of some sort in three different areas. I take medication (Nortriptyline 25mg) at night for the fibromyalgia, but struggle with fatigue and flu-like aches during the day. I'm a little reluctant to double the dosage, which has been suggested to me. I've doubled it before - with side effects - and didn't notice any difference. I take paracetamol for the bursitis and the OA - not particularly effective. I've had seven injections into my left thumb joint now - including two for trigger thumb. Is it time to see an orthopaedic surgeon, do you think?

Any advice on how to explain this to the GP would be gratefully received.

Lopsided Meg (still with sore thumbs and one sore hip!)
  • Megrose489
    Just wanted to apologise for my above post. I think I was just so disappointed this afternoon and let rip when I got back!

Feel a little better now, but still lopsided!

Meg
  • stickywicket
    You let rip? That's letting rip? Oh Megrose, I hope you never see me when I let rip :oops: :lol:

How odd that the letter stated one thing and the appointment yielded another. Of course, it makes absolute sense that an injection clinic is an injection clinic and no more but to promise more in the letter sounds distinctly odd. I suspect somewhere along the line right hands and left hands are not communicating. I think a chat with the GP is a good way to go.

Unfortunately, if an injection clinic has you written up for one thing that's what you'll get. I don't think they make on-the-spot decisions.

Is it time to see an orthopaedic surgeon? For me that would depend on how much I wanted surgery. This might be another thing to raise with your GP. He will (if you give him time – and that can amount to weeks) get a report from the rheumatologist so, if you use the intervening time by deciding where you think you'd like to go, it could be useful. GPs aren't experts and probably won't even have any x-rays / scans but will have the reports and I always find mine helpful to chat to.

As you probably know I see no point in taking pain relief that relieves nothing and merely adds to the side effects but, if you mention this, too, to your GP, he / she might come up with another suggestion. I hope so.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Thank you, Sticky for your wise words.

You're absolutely right. I know I've got some thinking to do before I see the GP and I want to make sure that I'm clear in my own mind exactly what I would like to happen.

Thank you.

Meg