Getting back to work

Petal57
Petal57 Member Posts: 9
edited 28. Nov 2015, 04:55 in Say Hello Archive
I am looking for work and I am quite sure that some of you have had the same problem as I am having.
I am having problems getting work due to my arthritis, I have other problems but these are not visible and I have been declared fit to work. Interviewers and managers make assumptions about me of what I can and cannot do.
I am fully mobile, with no mobility aids and look after myself and do not get any PIP.
I am realistic in what I can and cannot do and would not apply to do jobs that are beyond my capability.
Of course I understand that managers have to think of their staff's safety and therefore they cannot take unnecessary risks.
I am also very petite for my age and I believe this makes it harder. I am looking to work in a shop, mainly on the till. Or reception work, but this normally requires experience.
I have been on one work experience placement and one mandatory work activity group. I am wondering if any of you have any ideas how to overcome these barriers so that I can show people that I can do these things.

Comments

• Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello
    That sounds really frustrating. Is it worth trying to do some voluntary work, perhaps in a charity shop? That would help you prove you can do it and might be useful in the long run
    Good luck
    x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Hello Petal57 and welcome to the forum, I am retired thank goodness but I do agree with ladybrown that volunteering could help you on your way and I am sure with your latitude you will do well in whatever comes along..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Petal57
    Petal57 Member Posts: 9
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Petal57 and welcome to the forum, I am retired thank goodness but I do agree with ladybrown that volunteering could help you on your way and I am sure with your latitude you will do well in whatever comes along..good luck..

Thank you all for your responses and yes I am already volunteering in a charity shop.