Newly diadnosed oa

Options
saraangel
saraangel Member Posts: 2
edited 1. Dec 2015, 11:26 in Say Hello Archive
Hi. I am sara 31. Had lower back and hip pain for six years now. For 4 years i have been to and fro from the gp who always say how stiff my back is, how i have sciatica and send me on my way with co codamol. Two years ago i was referred to physio who suggested and mri which was apparently reported to have shown very little except sacroilitis. I was discharged back to gp. I was then reffered to a neurologist december last year due to numbness in my left leg and saddle. He sent me for mri brain and c spine which ruled out ms abd said because i have mental health problems, the pain is psychological. Anyway three weeks ago i saw a muscular skeletal guy who said my first mri showed a hip defect from birth (left hip dislocation) l5s1 disc bulge and scoliosis so for two years this had been known but reported wrong. He repeated the mri which showed oa at multi levels and his plan is to refer me to physio for acupuncture. My left leg is currently very numb and my back is painful after walking my son to school thia morning. I feel unsteady on my legs. If anyone could offer any advice on treatment i should be getting, advice about oa or anything really i would appreciate it. Thank you sara x

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sara

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I apologise for my delayed reply, I'm not having that good a time at the moment.

I have a foot in both arthritis camps, I began with psoriatic (an auto-immune kind) and the joint damage that caused has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and my hips are joining in. There is no 'treatment' as such, this is dealt with by GPs and they can offer a referral to physio, pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory medication. Surgery can become an option is the affected joints are the right sort but not until certain levels of damage have been achieved. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello sara and welcome from me, too :D

I've no idea how, in this day and age, a dislocated hip at birth could be overlooked. I remember my nephew's daughter having both legs in plaster for ages when she was born with one (two?)

There's a bit of a weird-but-fortunate twist to what you have told us ie although you were diagnosed with sciarica and sacroiliitis the treatment would be much the same as for OA - exercises and pain relief. I've no idea whether or not the dislocated hip could be put back into position now. What did your musculoskeletal guy say? I wonder if it was / is just partially dislocated as I'd have thought you'd have had a very noticeable limp all your life if it was fully out.

The trouble with OA is that the docs can do very little other than prescribe physio and pain relief. We ourselves can do much more by exercising, keeping to a healthy weight with a healthy diet, not smoking, using various techniques to take our minds off the pain etc. You might find some useful info here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Sara and welcome to the forum...your story is so similar to many on here.backwards and forwards...Im so glad to see at least you have some answers...and can move on with treatment..a physio will help with exercises to keep the joints moving and supple.you will get lots of advice off the forum ..so just jump in living with arthritis and ask away...
    Love
    Barbara