Knee Arthritis

iwarrior
iwarrior Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Nov 2015, 04:22 in Say Hello Archive
Hello everybody, my name is Hayley and I have just found this forum for people with arthritis.

I'm hoping to find support and advice from those of you that have the same issue as me - osteoarthritis in both my knees.

Not sure whether to post my arthritis history here or on another topic, but a recent x-ray has shown that it has gotten worse, and I am looking for advice from yourselves as how to best manage the condition.

I exercise regularly and keep my weight steady and muscles strong.
All advice on fitness/stretching/strength training is greatly appreciated!

Hayley

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Hayley

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help. Being a weekend also accounts for the delay in approving your first post :D

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes

Mod B
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. I have OA in both knees, both ankles and some other joints, plus another arthritis affecting other bits - my days of exercise as others would define it are long behind me now but I still keep up with my post-op exercises and other ones that physios have given me. Has your GP recommended a course of physio? If not it may be worth asking for a referral, it won't solve the trouble (only replacements do that) but it can help us manage things a little better.

I advise against doing anything for long periods of time that stress the joints - I dread bumping into people I know if I don't have my seated rollator with me because I can only stand still for around a minute - I have to do the talk-and-walk thing which also isn't that brilliant! I do food prep and ironing sitting down and bought myself a cordless vacuum which makes life a great deal easier. I rest my knees as often as I can, usually supported on a cushion or pillow because they no longer fully straighten although my latest exercises from a physio are helping that to improve. I am a side-sleeper so have a pillow running lengthways from ankle to groin to cushion my ankles and knees. I take a steady dose of pain relief (usually four 30/500 cocodamols, two in the morning and two at night) - they take off sufficient an edge so I can get the feedback when I am over-doing things. I've lost some weight but that's made little difference, I drink plenty of water and today will resort to an anti-inflammatory because things are pretty grim - it may well be a six coco day :wink:

Have a read around the forum, especially the Living with Arthritis board because that is where most people post and reply. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Hayley and welcome aboard :D

We're good at supporting each other on here and we have several different types of arthritis between us. (I have RA and OA and have had both knees replaced.)

You're quite right about the exercises and weight thing and that will help. Even if it doesn't seem to be doing much you have to bear in mind things (especially pain things :roll: ) would be worse without them.

Of course some exercise is better than others. Walking, swimming, cycling, tai chi and pilates are recommended. Jogging, or anything else that stresses the knees isn't. Have you looked at the Arthritis Care section on exercise? Just click on the blue 'Managing Arthritis' button above. It does, of course, still impact our lives which is where the camaraderie of the forum comes into its own. I hope you'll find it / us useful :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright