Mid-foot OA worse. What to do?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 11. Dec 2015, 17:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I apologise for asking yet another question. I've had mid-foot OA for quite a while. A guided steroid injection didn't work and I'm now waiting for an appointment with an orthotist at the end of the month - New Year's Eve. The Podiatric Surgeon, who gave me the injection, and whom I'm still under, told me that the joint was bone on bone and he had great difficulty getting the needle in. The last time I saw him, it was left that I would try the orthoses and, if they didn't help, get back to him, as surgery would probably be the next step.

Up to now, my foot has, occasionally, become very painful for a short time and then, after a while, the pain has eased and I can cope reasonably well, even though it's been tender to the touch. Now it's been very painful for three days - it's never lasted this long before - and I'm limping badly and having to lean heavily on my walking stick when I go out. No idea why it's suddenly got worse.

What to do? See if I can get an earlier appointment with the orthotist? Get back to the consultant? Grin and bear it until New Year's Eve? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Meg

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    These things, as my Mum was fond of saying, are sent to try us – and try us they do :roll:

This is rubbish timing, isn't it, megrose? Everyone's busy. I took my comfy pair of surgical shoes in for repair (They have to go back to the orthotist) two weeks ago hoping they might have them back to me quickly before the other pair could shred my feet. Alas, no sign yet. But I have bigger, and now scabby, lumps and bumps :x

I doubt the surgeon could do anything if a steroid jab is unlikely to work. I'd be amazed if he could operate so quickly. Maybe you or your GP could get the orthotist to fit you in earlier. You'd still have to wait for the insoles but at least it would be less of a wait. Maybe ask about taking a cancellation? It's the cold and flu season so there might be more pf them. Unlucky for some but useful for others.

Is there anything you can do for yourself to tide you over? I'm wondering if your foot / feet have objected to a change of shoe. Have you been wearing different ones or wearing slippers more? (No support at all in most slippers.) Might some ordinary cushion insoles help? (In shoes, not slippers.)

You can see I'm floundering here :lol: The only other thing I can think of is a course of steroid pills from the GP to get you through Christmas. I hope others can do better.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you, Sticky, you're so right about the timing! No, I haven't been wearing different footwear. I do have a pair of insoles in my shoes which I bought a while ago. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have made a great deal of difference, so I was hoping that a bespoke pair would have a better result.

I think I'll follow your suggestion and give the orthotist a ring tomorrow to see I can get a cancellation. The other thing is, I really don't want an operation in the next few months as I'm booked to go up to Edinburgh at the end of February to see Gretchen Peters, whose music I love. Of course, it's not really about the operation, it's the recovery time, isn't it? I'd stamp my foot, if its wasn't so sore!

I hope you get your comfy shoes back soon.

Thanks again.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, this is the way of OA isn't it? Your joints are in trouble and react as they always do by worsening. Most irksome. Leaning more heavily on a stick is not that good an answer but using two sticks may help you more, this way your weight can be more equally distributed as you use them alternately- left stick forward with right leg and right stick forward with left leg. Even better would be a rollator because your arms don't have to move and things can be carried on the handles and / or the seat. Do you have access to one, for example could you hire one from the Red Cross? I know I would be lost without mine. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you, DD. I do have another stick, so I'll try using two. I didn't think of that!

So, I'll see how I go with the two sticks before I think about a rollator. I don't have access to one at the moment, but it may well be a thought for the future.

Of course, my knee and back are aching now, as I'm walking so awkwardly! It never rains, but...

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How's it going, megrose? Is the extra stick helping?
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been wondering that too - I hope things are easing for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose489
    Options
    Thank you both DD and Sticky for asking about me.

I used two sticks for a few days - and it certainly helped, so thank you for suggesting that. Since then, the pain has eased somewhat - it's not as sharp - and I'm back to one stick again. I went to Tai Chi, but did it seated, so that was a new experience! Of course, now that it has eased slightly, I occasionally forget and push off on that foot. It soon reminds me!

Just to add to the joy, I'm having a problem with my Achilles tendon in the other foot. It's sore and aching and I have a painful lump on it, about half-way up. The GP has referred me for a scan, so, hopefully, I won't have to wait too long for that.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds a bit better. Shame about the Achilles. I wonder if the other problems, and consequent walking difficulties, started it off. I guess we'll never know. I hope you don't have a long wait, megrose. Well done on persevering with the Tai Chi.
    Steven Wright