Steriod injection

Options
Pear15
Pear15 Member Posts: 17
edited 14. Dec 2015, 18:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I will be having my first steroid injection tomorrow :shock: I'm a little nervous as I don't know what to expect but at least I'm going under a general.

Has anyone here experienced a steroid injection? If so was you in a lot of pain after? And was there much bruising? :?

My injection will be in the ankle joint, I'm really hoping that it will do something. This month has been tough. Swelling, discomfort and pain. Oh well only one way to find out....

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    Hopefully I can help.
    I've had a steroid injection into my ankle, my knee and also my lower spine. You ask about the ankle. Mine was x-ray guided and I was able to watch!
    A local anaesthetic went in first and then the steroid. I have to say that the local hadn't really had chance to work before the steroid jab went in. The injection itself wasn't too awful - yes it hurt a bit but I expected that.

What was stressed to me though was that after the injection I had to rest the joint for 48 hours. This is usual after any steroid injection, regardless which joint it goes into. If you move the joint too much afterwards the steroid may not stay in the joint.

Steroid injections haven't worked for me in the past (so I won't be having any more) but that's not to say it won't work for you. I know lots of people who've had these and have had a great response. The only way to find out is to try.

I wish you well for this and I hope you are one of the lucky ones and you get some relief but please, please, make sure you come off that ankle for 48 hours afterwards.

Please let us know how you get on.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I 've had a number of these in my knees after aspiration and one in my right ankle. I've never been sedated for them though - is something else being done at the same time? The knee ones were useless but the ankle one worked for around three months. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't but I won't bother having any more because the disappointment is too much.

Please rest the joint as much as you can for as long as you can, this is to help the fluid really sink into the joint which may give it the best chance to work. There will be residual soreness so keep up with the dullers. I hope it helps, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hi, I`ve never had a general for a steroid injection, but I`ve had injections into various joints, several IM ones, and the guided ones Grace mentions.

They`ve usually worked pretty well for me, but it is important to rest for the first 48 hours afterwards to give it a greater chance to work.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, how did it go? I hope all is as well as possible. DD
  • Pear15
    Options
    I survived the injection which I think is the best way to describe it!!!!

First of all there was a long wait which adds to the anxiety I just wanted to get it over and done with. Then a consultant looked at my notes and said next operation will be fusion. That doctor didn't mince his words and that's something I'm refusing to happen.

The procedure itself was guided by xray, one injection. It was ok when the needle went in but once it was pushed down to the joint.... Oh my God!!! I also have a bolt and screws in the way. Not the most pleasant or comfortable experience I've had. All I could do was hold the nurses hand, close my eyes tightly and count to a 1000. To top it all off the registrar keept saying how tight the joint is, really I wouldn't have put myself through such a procedure if there wasn't a problem.

The positive was the nurses, tea and toast and I managed not to scream or cry. Next appointment with the consultant is in March.
  • Pear15
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention that I had to go back to work today so 48 hrs rest wasn't exactly an option. However as an admin I was able to sit down a lot of today and keep the leg up.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Oh dear! I hope the lack of rest doesn't render all your trauma pointless. How are things today?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Balancing the demands of arthritis versus those of employers is far from easy - I hope that you your having to work will not have an adverse affect on the outcome. Rest as much as you can when you can, OK? DD
  • Pear15
    Options
    Yesterday was fine, today was a little uncomfortable but at least I get the next 4 days off. Also I've been told that I won't lose a days pay from Monday

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
  • lynnemarie1123
    lynnemarie1123 Member Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm glad you survived. My ankle was the first joint I had injected X it worked a dream but I too had to rest 48 hours X was kept in hospital for the duration. I have had no problems with it since except some slight fluid around the ankle joint but it doesn't flare like all my other joints do X
    However I have had joints where cortisone doesn't effect :-( X

Good luck xx