Erm, one for the ladies...

theresak
theresak Member Posts: 1,998
edited 8. Dec 2015, 10:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Having lately had three UTIs in rather quick succession, my GP decided to give me an internal examination. The last one I had may have been in 1986, prior to having a hysterectomy, so I wasn`t looking forward to it at all.

To cut a long story short, she`s decided that part of the problem is that I am `too dry` in a very intimate area - apologies if this is too much info. She prescribed some cream to be used at night with an applicator.

Last week, armed with said cream & applicator, off I went to take my first attempt - which was a total disaster. I can no longer arrange my body into the optimum position necessary, as my joints all screamed in protest before seizing up in rebellion. Neither could I (a) grip the applicator thing, nor (b) press the plunger to release the cream at the same time as trying to coax my body into a shape in which it didn`t want to go.

There was nothing else to do except chuckle - at least I can laugh at myself. I hope none of you have nightmares after this post at the picture it may present.

If I could have got right (a) the position, (b) the grip, (c) the co-ordination, and (d) the timing I may have just about qualified for the Gymnastics team at the next Olympics.

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh bless you, what a predicament, the joys of being both arthritic and female........... :oops:

Maybe a trip back to the GP to ask for another suggestion is called for!

Deb x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    I struggled with one of these devices even before arthritis could be blamed, so I'm not surprised you had a problem. No thought had been given to the business end and where it was going and in what circumstances( I'll just say sharp edge cylinder, sore place), and the plunger didn't work. I abandoned the sadistic male version and used mother nature's tools in the end -we're in the digital age after all....
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I had this once because I was physically unable to have a smear test and found that lying on the bed was the only way I could manage things.

As for the UTIs maybe the following might help: my Ma used to drink a teaspoon of bicarb in a small glass of lemonade to neutralise acid and, when she had 'finished' a wee, she would either remain in situ for a while and more would trickle or she would stand up then sit to help her to fully 'empty'. This ensured that was no urine left to 'go off'. She was a keen reader of the medical page in the Telegraph and it once stated that as we age our bladder loses the muscular strength to fully empty in one go. I now employ the 'sit and wait method', especially during the night, and it's surprising how much extra one can pass.

I hope you can find a solution to this because you have enough on your arthritic plate, yes? I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the laugh, Tezz. That got the day off to a good start :D

I was reminded of my early arthritic days on indomethacin. When my stomach began to protest I was given it as a suppository. Bearing in mind, I started with RA in my hands then the wrists and ankles joined in shortly followed by shoulders. I spent a lot of time retrieving suppositories from the bathroom floor.

So, I'm on Strictly, you're going for Olympic gymnastic gold. I think it's about time the rest of this lot got into action, don't you?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    A small lump of coconut oil may be your solution. It melts on contact with the body and is absorbed into the skin nicely.
    Might be easier than the medical solution.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • theresak
    Thank you for the tips, ladies - I intend giving them a go. I was never troubled with UTIs before humira, so GP is seeing a connection.

Her normal course of action would be a daily low dose of antibiotics, but this is no good while I'm on humira - or indeed on any biologic, so having pronounced me as being 'between a rock and a hard place' she will discuss things with my consultant if need be.

I`'ve only seen the lady GP a couple of times before, but she's being very thorough..

Meanwhile, I shall continue my gymnastics training. How's the Strictly practice going Sticky? I hope you've sorted a better costume - nothing too risque!
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Theresak I wonder if your GP has asked the consultant about the daily antibiotics? I take a daily low dose of an antibiotic called azithromycin because I now have bronchiectasis (lung damage resulting from many chest infections whilst under the care of my previous rheumy who didn't make the connection with DMARDs and my inability to cope with common causes of chest infections.... my current rheumy was really on the ball and did immunology blood tests which identified the particular antibody I was missing, and a course of injections gave me better protection.

Deb x
  • theresak
    Hi Deb, thanks for your input. I get the impression that when/if I have another UTI fairly soon after this last one my GP will speak to my rheumy. Part of the bother is I have little in the way of symptoms - as the humira masks them - and I'm only aware I have a problem when the infection has really got hold. The last one was only picked up from a routine MSU. They are routinely testing me quite regularly, which I suppose is a good thing, but just another nuisance to add to the list.

I'm sure something will be sorted in the fullness of time!