Hi new memer

Options
Dawnsunny
Dawnsunny Member Posts: 12
edited 8. Jan 2016, 04:55 in Say Hello Archive
Hello here's my story so far.....
On 16/8 this year whilst on holiday in Crypus I broke one of my toes, the dr over there thought it was dislocated and under anesthetic he moved it back into place and I was sent on my way. This was the first night I spent the rest of my holiday in a lot of pain and unable to walk without holding on to someone. On my return and after a few weeks then the area was still swelling and my movement was still difficult I went for X-rays and a fracture was found. Few weeks later I finally got seen by orthopaedics n truma dr who X rayed again n said all ok that the break was mending....but cos of the swelling n bruising sent me for a scan. The scan has revealed I have OA. I am now in constant pain in my foot. Until I go back to the dr in a few weeks time I have been given cocodamol but no advice on what will happen next. I'm desperate for some info. My mobility is almost gone as walking is so difficult. It also feels like it's 'spreading' to my ankles. Please help I'm so unhappy and frustrated not knowing if I will get better n back to be able to stride out walking like I could before this break Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Dawnsunny, welcome to Arthritis Care Forums.

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have using the forums.

There are many lovely people who use the forums with a wide range of experiences in regards to having and living with arthritis. Have a good look through the different forums and pick the ones you feel are best for you.

Best wishes,

ModEm
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hello Dawnsunny and welcome to the forum. There are so many imponderables in your post. I'm guessing you feel the arthritis has come as a result of the break. It certainly can set in on the site of a former injury but not usually so quickly. It's possible that, in one sense, you were lucky to have the problem as it has shown up early stages of OA which might otherwise have gone unnoticed for some time. (Though, of course, you're not going to feel lucky right now.)

What will happen next? Unfortunately, not a lot. GPs treat OA with pain relief such as your cocodamol and anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If you are taking regular anti-inflamms you should also be prescribed a stomach-protecting med but don't let that put you off them. They do a reasonable job.

The rest is, fortunately or unfortunately up to us - exercise and a good healthy diet are the mainstays. (See here https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis )

No-one can promise you that you'll 'get better' or get back to how you were before. You might, with physio and care, but there are no guarantees. It's quite possible that some of your pain (eg in your ankles) is coming from you walking awkwardly so as to not have so much pain elsewhere. Try to walk normally even if that necessitates a stick.

The doc will be able to tell you more than we can but, meanwhile, keep exercising your foot. Walking can be exceedingly painful but it's usually still better to persevere with it unless you've been told not to. Wear strong, supportive shoes and not high heels. Good trainers are usually OK. Don't wear slippers which give no support. And keep talking to us as we can offer support even though we can't actually do anything.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I really need to get some individual advice and explanations. Reading lots of posts I'm confused and worried.
    I just can't understand how I can go from striding out 3 times a day to practically nothing but hobbling round with my foot swelling and being painful, and at times feels like it's giving way.
    I don't know if I should try to carry on as normal or if that would do more damage, or rest it all the time.Why does it swell ? Why do I now feel twinges in my knees ??
    I feel like everything can only go down now and that makes me worried. I don't have good days, everyday is the same if not worse.
    I see the Dr at the hospital on 6/1. I hope I can get some answers.
    Sorry that I am feeling sorry for myself ...I guess I need to have something to go on so I know what's in store for me !
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head with your first sentence ie you do need individual advice because you have two things going on here – a broken toe, albeit a mending one, and OA. One might well be exacerbating the other.

Should you carry on as normal or rest it? Speaking purely as someone with arthritis, I'd say both. Carry on as much as possible, in sensible footwear and, when sitting down, elevate and ice the toe (a pack of frozen peas is ideal) to reduce the swelling. Your knees are probably hurting as a result of the 'hobbling round' awkwardly.

You might find it helpful to see your GP and put these questions to him / her. That might give you a clearer idea of what you want to ask the ortho when you see him in January. And / or, you could give our Helpline people a ring just to talk things over with them.

No apology needed, by the way. This has come as a shock to you and shocks require time and tlc. Let the others take the strain this Christmas.
    Steven Wright
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I really need to get some individual advice and explanations. Reading lots of posts I'm confused and worried.
    I just can't understand how I can go from striding out 3 times a day to practically nothing but hobbling round with my foot swelling and being painful, and at times feels like it's giving way.
    I don't know if I should try to carry on as normal or if that would do more damage, or rest it all the time.Why does it swell ? Why do I now feel twinges in my knees ??
    I feel like everything can only go down now and that makes me worried. I don't have good days, everyday is the same if not worse.
    I see the Dr at the hospital on 6/1. I hope I can get some answers.
    Sorry that I am feeling sorry for myself ...I guess I need to have something to go on so I know what's in store for me !
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello new memer, of course you're feeling sorry for yourself and rightly so. I suspect that your experience of reliably good health has apparently gone AWOL thanks to the vagaries of life: that must be a stinger.

For what it's worth I reckon you are living with the fear of pain, hence you're finding that you cannot do what you once unthinkingly did, and that's a massive shock. I've had years to adjust (and have) but acknowledge it must be very hard for you. It takes time to learn how much to do and when to rest (as a guide the forum is not that reliable because you don't know the members or their histories). It's far from easy recognising that things are not going to plan but there never was a plan.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Dawnsunny
    I remember well the shock of first being diagnosed, I was going to the gym at least 3 time a week, and very fit, till I started with hip pain ,the rest is history... we have all been there so understand what you are going through...
    Sorry I cant help with any info about your toe , but hopefully with help form the ortho and talking to us on here you will get there..I do wish you well ...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Just to update you.... I was given Naproxen tabs which I am to take 1 twice a day. After the first one I can't believe how good they are. I've had the best mobility since this happened on 16/8!!!!
    Not as much pain or swelling either. I feel so much happier. I still can't stride out walking but I'm keeping my fingers crossed this may be possible eventually .
    I've also been given some omeprazole ....do I have to take these? What would happen if I don't?
    Thanks again for your help and advise X
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Doc's don't prescribe meds for the fun of it, didn't your doctor explain what the omep is for? It's a stomach protector med, you take it first thing on an empty stomach, then take the naproxen later once you've had breakfast. If you don't take it then your stomach lining will be damaged so it's worth taking, yes? I'm pleased the naproxen has helped. DD
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Sorry dreamdaisy I actually phoned and left my request with the receptionist. Dr had only given me painkillers, I guess until I'd seen the dr at the hospital, but my foot had been very swollen and the pain relief was only helping a little.
    I had read about having tabs for your stomach on here but I hadn't understood why. So when I asked for something for the swelling I asked if I should have something also for my stomach.
    That's why I wasn't fully understanding things which is why I asked on here, people have been so helpful!!
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Update....
    Well been told to stop the Naproxen...it was working so very well but today I woke up with a huge blu and purple bruise on my arm with a lump in the middle of it. Trip to the dr where bloods were taken, ?blood clot.
    Just sat Now waiting to see if the hospital rings with concerns on levels.....anyone else had this?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Blimey! No. I haven't and I was on naproxen for years. I can't recall anyone else mentioning that as a side effect either but that will be of no comfort to you right now. What is more comforting is that your doc has got onto it straight away and taken no chances. That's good.

i hope this is something which can be sorted quickly and painlessly. Please let's know the outcome.
    Steven Wright
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Thanks stickywicket....I'm crossing everything that things will be ok...I guess the next few days will tell us. :cry:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Any news? DD
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Hi
    Well no phone call from hospital that day so was relieved, the bruise still hasn't gone and the lump is still there...more slight bruising near knees. Foot swelling again, not sure if that's because I have returned back to work or the lack of naproxen.

Back at the hospital tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more and back at GPs thursday as she wanted to review things after a week.

Thanks for asking, will update as things progress ......
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good luck with both appointments. Let's hope for good news.
    Steven Wright
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Well appt at the hospital today has resulted in being sent for an MRI scan as he wants to see why there's still pain bruising and inflammation, even tho the scan says its OA dr wants it looking into before he suggests injections...

GP tomorrow ....letter came today asking me to have the blood tests again!! So will have to wait to see why as receptionist wouldn't tell me!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It's good that your consultant is being thorough. Was anything said about the bruise / blood clot?

I hope tomorrow goes well. I think it's probably more 'can't' than 'won't' re the receptionist. They're very often not allowed to give out info themselves.
    Steven Wright
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Hi , no dr at hospital wasn't interested in my being asked to stop the naproxen or the bruise.

I'm keeping the gp appt tomorrow as I need to ask why the bloods need redoing?

Feel worried as I always fear the worst :-(
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Bloods sometimes get contaminated. One of mine once got lost. Try not to worry.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have had to redo bloods for no other reason than the GP wasn't happy with one or two readings whereas the hospital was quite content. Sometimes slip-ups happen, given the quantities they must deal with on a daily basis it's hardly surprising.

I don't ask receptionists anything about letters etc. It's not a case of they won't give information, in my experience they are just as in the dark as me and I think I prefer it that way, confidentiality matters with these things. DD
  • Dawnsunny
    Options
    Thanks stickywicket. Been and it was because they didn't have enough blood so more taken and now have to wait again.
    Bruise is finally showing that it's starting to fade but lump in middle still there.
    It's all waiting games!
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ah welcome to the wonderful, slow-moving world of arthritis :lol:

I'm glad the blood test was just a blip. Yes, it can happen that they don't have enough.

Glad the bruise is fading. The bump's a bit of a puzzle. if it were summer one might think in terms of insect bite but surely not at this time of year.
    Steven Wright