New to RA and new to forum

Options
Julie6k
Julie6k Member Posts: 2
edited 30. Jan 2016, 13:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just found this forum and I am hoping to find some fellow RA sufferers (perhaps not the best choose of word) who can reassure me that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Diagnosed with RA in November, started methotrexate and am not yet on full dose. Feel so very low and disheartened. I can't believe how my life has changed in the space of four months. I have always been active, fast paced, strong and now I can't even dress myself.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Julie6k,

Welcome to the forum, this sounds like the right place for you to get advice, reassurance and friendship. Being Sunday there aren't so many members visiting, but I'm sure you will get replies soon.

I'm one of the moderators, any problems with any aspect of the forum just let us know

Take care
    Mod Yx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Julie
    Welcome to the forum. Its always reasonably quiet over the weekend. You'll get more answers tomorrow I would imagine.
    I've got OA so not much help to you. I just came on to say welcome

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I don't have RA but I do have another form of auto-immune arthritis and yes, it is a shock when first diagnosed. I too take meth, I assume you are on the tablets? If so what dose are you on? There's a general time-frame of two to twelve weeks before any 'improvement' might be felt and if you are coming at this from a healthy background then you may not recognise the 'improvement' for what it is.

Have you been prescribed folic acid as a supplement? This is the norm, it's taken to help the body cope better with the new medication. Do you have any pain relief and if so what and how often are you taking it? I apologise for being so nosey but it will give us older hands a better understanding of what is happening with you: I am nineteen years in so know a little about it but only as a patient. It may of interest for you to read The Spoon Theory and There's a Gorilla in my House, both articles can be found on the net and give a good interpretation of what we face on a daily basis for those around us who are also facing it, albeit in a different way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi Julie6k
    Welcome to the forum (if welcome is the right word).
    I also have RA (as well as OA).Have been on methotrexate for about 15 years (12.5mg weekly,followed by 5mg folic acid 24 hrs later).
    To date has given good control with no obvious side effects.Have blood tests every 2 months to check for,amongst other things,liver and kidney function.
    RA hasn't really stopped me doing most things (unfortunately the same thing can't be said for OA).
    You will find us a friendly and sympathetic crowd,please don't hesitate to post or ask questions (most of our answers come from first hand experience.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hello Julie and welcome from me too. I'm another who methotrexate has helped enormously though it must be stressed that not all meds work for everyone and sometimes there's a period of trial and error before the right one is found. I hope it won't be so for you and that the meth soon kicks in.

The emotional side of things will be tricky at first. I was diagnosed at 15 and it was tough. But we adapt and learn and sometimes change our lives a bit. Maybe one activity has to be curtailed but others can be taken up. That way I've discovered lots of new interests.

One of the difficult things when you're young is that none of your contemporaries have RA. Maybe they've not even heard of it and think arthritis is something old people get. That's where we come in as we understand where you're coming from and the frustrations that go with it. I hope we'll be able to support you as you come to terms with it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hello Julie, and welcome. I have RA too, with a bit of OA thrown in for good measure. I know exactly how you must be feeling after your recent diagnosis - shocked, anxious, angry and a lot more besides.

I think most of us have been on MTX at some point, and it can take up to 12 weeks to have an effect. Your rheumatologist might also throw in another drug to help it out - this is quite common too.

To go from being active to needing so much help is very difficult to absorb, and you will be feeling low. There is light at the end of the tunnel - but it can take a while to find the right drug/combination of drugs, which is a frustrating process, especially when you want results. In short, it's not easy, but you will get there.

Do keep posting and let us support you.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Julie, So sorry you have had to find this site. Everyone on here are really great and we try and help each other when we can. This site has been a huge help to me when I couldn't see no light at the end of the tunnel. We are one huge Arthritic family! We do try and have some fun so it's not always blue and I do run a Book Club on the chit chat section if you enjoy reading. I hope you find help on the site.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, how are things going? It's not been a good time stress-wise over the past two weeks or so but I hope you are doing as OK as possible. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Frose
    Frose Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi Julie6k,

I was diagnosed in with RA in June last year, I am still trying to come to terms with the diagnosis. I'm 32 and was pretty active before RA. I'm currently taking 25mg methotrexate and folic acid on the other 6 days. Sulfasalizine gave me awful migraines and flu-like symptoms. I'm also taking a few painkillers at the moment too, paracetamol, tramadol and oramorph.
    Mornings are the worst for me, takes about 3 hours for stiffness to melt away and for the pain to become manageable.

Persevere with adapting to your 'new' life, I have found that it is amazing how adaptable we are as humans. Make sure you take time to think about the things you can still do and enjoy. That helps me in those dark hours.

Meditating is excellent as a coping strategy. The book 'Mindfulness for health' by V Burch is my life saver. The most surprising thing for me was the excessive sweating, that drives me up the wall. Everyone else is freezing and I'm mopping my brow!!

Hope you're well, take care. Fi xx
    Favourite quotes/mantras:
    Take one day at a time
    Don't compare yourself to others
    There is only now :)
  • Grangi
    Grangi Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi I just read your post, my heart goes out you & I felt compelled to reply.
    I have had OA for many years but then in 2014 was diagnosed with RA too. It is frustrating confusing and really tricky to both accept and manage.
    I. was on Sulphasalazine then methotrexate was added too, as a positive upbeat person I though great 3 months for meds to kick in then I will be fine. Sadly this's isn't the way it goes for me anyway. I am now on lefnulamide and fingers crossed it will work.
    One of the most useful things for me was having several sessions with an occupational Therapist. Not only did she give me great practical advice re aids & adaptations but also working out ways I could continue with my hobbies & recreational pursuits. I am still trying to come to terms with RA slowly realising I cannot go at things full blast as I did in the past I have to try to do things at a more measured pace & stop sooner. It's really tricky to learn to manage your life differently but you can do it & I think very slowly I am getting there . Though on occasions I do just think **** it it hurts anyway whether I do something or not, then I just do whatever it is, then hurt but at least have a sense of achievement & that makes it worth it.
    I hope I haven't rambled on too long or bored you I guess I just wanted to let you know that your feelings are shared and also that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Even if at times it's not as bright as you want it to be. You can and will find your own unique way of living with and managing your RA & there will still be times of joy and fun. Sending you positive thoughts & a virtual hug
  • Popsmith1874
    Popsmith1874 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi welcome, I've had RA since 2014 and it was a bombshell for me as well as I was very active before , I've also got oa but this forum is a godsend as everyone's in the same boat and know what your going through things will get better so keep chin up