Ron's New Hip for 2016?

Options
prefabkid47
prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
edited 21. Jan 2016, 17:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi it's Ron (of new ankle fame!)

Early last year was suffering sciatic type pain.Was given physiotherapy,acupuncture,hydrotherapy,massage and osteopathy but nothing gave relief.After months of this I insisted on a MRI scan argueing that no one knew what they were treating................ :roll:
This scan showed that I had a herniated disc!

By this time the pain (and the hip/knee clonking) were getting much worse and was convinced that these symptoms were not due to my back but a possible hip and/or knee problem!

My GP just upped my painkillers saying an Xraywould prove nothing,after a while I was hobbling around on crutches....... :x
A return visit to my GP.........he just suggested giving me stronger painkillers (tramadol) and that an operation may just give some pain relief (with no improvement in mobility),I wouldn't be able to drive for at least a year and a new hip would only last for about 8 years!No way was I going to be fobbed off again!!!......... :x
He agreed to my going for a Xray.

The subsequent Xray showed my hip and possibly knee were 'knackered' (his words),but begrudgingly put my name forward to a triage to decide on a course of action.I am to see the surgeon on 28th January and will keep you posted.

A week after seeing my GP I had my routine appointment at my rheumatology clinic.They accessed my Xrays and we looked and discussed them in detail (my GP showed me nothing)........... :o
They were astounded that nothing had been done earlier and was only 'delaying the inevitable'.

I have now learnt that often you have to push to get things done and find a new GP.. :!:

My first rant for 2016 :x
''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done on persevering, Ron, and, yes, you are right to get a new GP. Yours has made some poor decisions but not all GPs are like that. If there are more in the practice you could just see one of them (No-one has to stick with their named GP) but, if you intend to change practice, try to find out from friends and neighbours which is a good one. You could also google their websites. You can get some idea that way of how on the ball they are.

As for the new hip only lasting 8 years :o – well, maybe, if you're into mountaineering or free fall parachuting. Somehow I get the impression you're not :wink: We autoimmuners tend to lack the wherewithall to wear out our replacement joins quickly. One of my THRs is around 20 years old and as good as ever. If I were to put it on Ebay I could describe it as having had 'one careful owner' :lol:

I wish you the very best for 2016, with the hip and everything else.

And, by the way, you need coaching in ranting. That was definitely a puny 3/10 effort :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Good to hear that your persistence has been rewarded Ron, and hope that now you will be able to make some progress in dealing with your problems.
    It is so frustrating when GPs block possible routes to patients' treatment by their own lack of knowledge. As DD often rightly points out GPs know a little about a lot, however they are in effect the patient's gateway to further investigation and treatment and so should be 'man' enough to admit and accept when they have reached the limit of their knowledge, and also aware enough to realise that things do move on so what was relevant x years ago may not be so now. It is unreasonable to expect any one person to keep abreast of all the new developments that apply to the myriad conditions that present in a GP practice, but that's not a reason for refusing to look things up or ask for further assessment where a patient's condition isn't responding. Sadly, financial considerations are increasingly adding to the blocking of investigations, so even when GPs do try to help their patients by requesting further tests etc they may be prevented from doing so.
    Sorry Ron, I've rather hijacked your post.
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Options
    I've learnt a lot over the last couple of days, if you let certain doctor fob you off and push the problem to one side then nothing will ever get done. Sometimes you have to be calm but firm until you get the outcome you deserve. I think changing to a better GP would be a good option and in the future would make a huge difference.
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    Thank you sticky,daffy and As for responding to my post....... :)

sticky - my rant was only a shadow of the original rantings,but for forum posting had to be my own 'moderator'.I have an 'ology' in ranting and age has honed my skills (the character of Victor Meldrew was based on me!).So glad that your THP is still holding out,it is reassuring...................... :D

daffy - you didn't hijack my post!Financial considerations for the lack of action by my GP did occur to me,this same reason was suggested (with no prompting from me) at my my rheumatology clinic and also that my GP was very budget conscious (from a member of his own staff!)............ :shock:

As - My approach was to my GP was determined but calm (losing my rag would be counter productive).You are so right not to be fobbed off,a lesson learnt............ :!:

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was thinking about you much earlier today: last night I abandoned a mostly-eaten meal and more than 1/2 pint of Kingfisher lager (I was having a curry) to go and sleep in the Spouse's car (whilst he continued to lager and dine) because I felt so rough. Today I had a temperature so that proves I AM PROPERLY ILL :wink: so no finger wagging, even if it wasn't real ale.

As it's been said GPs know a little about a lot but at last some steps are being taken and that has to be a good thing. I suspect you may be of an age where you won't be refused so that's a better thing - and it could be the start of a much better time for you, even a better better thing. I hope so, Ron, I really do. Please keep in touch and let us know how things develop . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I was thinking about you much earlier today: last night I abandoned a mostly-eaten meal and more than 1/2 pint of Kingfisher lager (I was having a curry) to go and sleep in the Spouse's car (whilst he continued to lager and dine) because I felt so rough. Today I had a temperature so that proves I AM PROPERLY ILL :wink: so no finger wagging, even if it wasn't real ale.

As it's been said GPs know a little about a lot but at last some steps are being taken and that has to be a good thing. I suspect you may be of an age where you won't be refused so that's a better thing - and it could be the start of a much better time for you, even a better better thing. I hope so, Ron, I really do. Please keep in touch and let us know how things develop . . . . DD

Hi DD
    Sorry you're not feeling well,hope you are soon back to your normal self.I would only 'finger wag' when trying to get the attention of the bar staff............ :wink: Always think of you when drinking real ale.(A thought....RA can mean rheumatoid arthritis or real ale,know which I prefer.............. :!: ).
    Only one thing puzzled me......the term 'lager',had to google to find out what it meant..................... :?
    Ron
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've spent my second day in bed, temp still fluctuating. I don't feel right but can't explain how I feel wrong! :lol: That's the trouble with being immune-suppressed, we don't produce symptoms until summat's got a hold and even tho I have a temp I am not hot-to-the-touch. My joints are appalling so I'm wondering if I have a 'flu-type thing but my jab is protecting me from the worst . . . .

The curry house had ale but nothing of any note, just cheap bottled rather tasteless stuff: when one is used to Adnams, Wherry, Brewers' Gold, Spitfire, Hobgoblin etc. etc. drinking that dross is sacrilege. Kingfisher is full of taste however, and ideal with the hot curries I like. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Ron its good to hear from you but not good you have been suffering like this, I am due to have my other THR this year, the first one went well, like you I had awful knee pain this was found to be coming form the large nerve that runs behind the hip and down the knee,
    My neighbours hips are 26 years old this year and still going strong..good luck with the op...
    Love
    Barbara
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Ron its good to hear from you but not good you have been suffering like this, I am due to have my other THR this year, the first one went well, like you I had awful knee pain this was found to be coming form the large nerve that runs behind the hip and down the knee,
    My neighbours hips are 26 years old this year and still going strong..good luck with the op...

Hi barbara
    It's great to hear from you too.......... :)
    Glad that your first THR went ok and hope the next is equally successful.It was interesting that you also suffered from severe knee pain,it's this that I find very debilitating.I was concerned that I had also a knee problem,especially when my GP told me that my xray showed my knee was 'knackered',though my rheumatology clinic disagreed and said it was ok (I did on this occasion see the xrays myself and felt inclined to agree).
    There appears to be a competition for hip replacement longevity.I have a friend who had a THR 16 years ago,heard of another of 20 years now your neighbour holds the record at 26 years (unless someone on the forum can beat that!!).
    Will post again when I have more details on op date etc.
    Regards
    Ron
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I've never even seen my GP about hip pain. I always spoke direct to my rheummy about any joint pain and they advised and arranged x-rays. My replacement was then arranged via rheummy to the surgeon.

I always by pass the GP for anything RA/OA related.

hope all goes well

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • prefabkid47
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    I've never even seen my GP about hip pain. I always spoke direct to my rheummy about any joint pain and they advised and arranged x-rays. My replacement was then arranged via rheummy to the surgeon.

I always by pass the GP for anything RA/OA related.

hope all goes well

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth
    I did go direct to my rheumy when I had my ankle pain and subsequent replacement surgery was arranged by them.
    With the advantage of hindsite should have taken the same route with my hip.But the pain was initially thought to stem from a back problem,consequently my GP had been involved.
    Ron
    Ron