newly diagnosed

gazzyb2402
gazzyb2402 Member Posts: 2
edited 4. Jan 2016, 11:00 in Say Hello Archive
:presents: hi I'm Gary, I've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis just over a year now. It is affecting my hands,hips,knees and possibly my spine. However I'm still very active with my work as a chef, and at the moment painkillers are providing some relief. I recently had trials with parrafin wax baths for my hands,i would like to purchase a wax bath but don't know where or how much i can expect to pay for it. Any advice.?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Gary

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi there Gary and welcome to the forum.

It's years since I hot the hot wax treatment on the nhs. I found it very soothing while my hands were in it but the effect soon wore off. However I have RA as well as OA so that might make a difference.

If you put click on the small, grey 'search' tab above and put 'wax bath' into the search facility some old threads come up which might be helpful.

They seem to cost near on £300, apparently take 5-6 hours to warm up and people with large hands seem to find them a bit of a tight squeeze. Also Arthritis Research UK warns that 'You shouldn’t use wax bath therapy if you have cuts, open sores or inflammatory skin conditions,'

I wish you well in your search and hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Hello and welcome. I`m sorry I can`t help with your query, but hope you find what you are looking for.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you but I am sorry you have had to find us. Would it be possible for you to contact the place where you had the trials and see if they could help with information about costs and purchasing? There's always *m*z*n of course. I think I recall *rg*s stocking one in the past but don't know if they do so now. A home-remedy which suits some is to soak your hands in a basin of warm/hot water with some added Epsom salts, that might offer the same kind of relief. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben