HELP PLEASE HOLIDAYS?

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 5. Jan 2016, 06:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I think most of you know that I wanted to go back to Venice this year.
The only transport there is is a "Vaporetta" {boat just the same as a bus over here.} Not a tour, just takes you from a to b. Mostly people on it are people travelling to and from work.
So most if it is walking. We have thoroughly enjoyed the previous trips we've had there.
This time my mobility was worse but I was determined.
Getting closer to the time I'm beginning to think that it may not be possible, especially if we want to book it for May {which was what was planned} Mobility is getting worse but I feel I'm giving up.
Any suggestions from people or any suggestions about anywhere else we can go
Love
Hileena

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My honeymoon was spent in Venice (we stayed on the Lido so vaps were required) and much as I would love to return I don't think I could manage either the vaps (they were an option when my bad knee gave out) or the streets and humpbacked bridges, let alone the hordes of tourists. :( If, however, they closed it for a week just for the pair of us . . . . :wink: Mind you, staying in Venice itself might make it more feasible but even with a wheelchair I reckon it would be pretty hard going for both of you.

How about Denmark, Holland, Norfolk or Suffolk? All have their good points but the main one is they are flat. Holkham beach in Norfolk is accessible via a wooden path through the woods, with some accessible viewing points, and Walbersick beach in Suffolk is sandy. I know that none are a match for Venice but they all have their unique forms of beauty. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    Yes we visited the Lido but that was all. Just half a day or so.
    We were in a hotel on the Grand Canal.
    Not expensive but it has something, doesn't it?
    I know the bridges could be a problem.
    We've always gone in May before and its not overley busy.
    If they closed it for a week for the of us that would be fantastic :lol:
    I dont even want a wheel chair!!!!! Peter has never been used to pushing me in one nor me being in one LOL Scooter and my rollator and my crutches and that's it.
    I have never mentioned wheelchair to him ....dont know that I trust him as a driver LOL :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Hileena,

It would be such a shame if you feel you cannot go back to Venice although you would love to do so.

I expect you have explored every avenue and have probably seen this link already but I attach it just in case you have not.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187870-c3011/Venice:Italy:Venice.For.The.Disabled.html

ooops just seen that you are not keen on a wheelchair to get around. I know you do not use one over here.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Hileena,

Here is another link just in case you have not looked at them all:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/accessible_venice.htm

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Elna
    I'll have a look at the links.

Love

Hileena
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Have you considered Bruges, Hileena? It's flat, very compact, mostly pedestrianised, and has beautiful buildings. It does have cobbles, but the canal boats are accessible, and run regularly.
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Sorry, posted too soon - Prague is beautiful too, & taxis relatively cheap should you need one. Our hotel had a lift with a seat in for us not so nimble folk.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Tezz,
    I will check those out as well.....

I feel as if I'm giving up when I was determined to go :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Hileena, just out of interest I googled 'Venice for disabled visitors', and quite a lot of info came up which might be of use or interest. One thing that caught my eye as I scrolled through was a comment that Venice doesn't have cobbles but flat surfaces, which would make life easier for a lot of folks I would think. Even if hale and hearty cobbles are pretty tiring to walk on!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    The trouble with you, young Hileena, is that you feel as if you're giving up unless you are doing crazy things :lol: I remember you posting before about the Venice holiday and, as you described it, it did seem to me to be a crazy idea given your situation. Who knows, you might eventually see this as the opportunity that opened up somewhere every bit as good as Venice.

Others have suggested flat places. Like Tezz, I found Bruges beautiful (and flat) but very cobblestoney. As was Ypres. I did once go to Fuerteventura, near Malaga, about 10 years ago. The promenade was totally flat and the rest, as I recall, very accessible. We also had wonderful days out in Seville, Cordoba and Granada.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi daffy and Sticky

Thanks for your replies.....still thinking everything over

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Im with Elna, I think if you really want to go back to Venice and dont you will regret it, I am sure you could do less than last time you went..takes things slower..and enjoy...at least you know the place .. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Hileena as you know myself & OH are extreme holiday goers!! We are off to Jamaica in a fortnight! My OH users tripadvisor.co.uk as a help guide because of the reviews and checks if the resorts and hotels are disabled friendly. And when he has a shortlist of hotels he looks at the hotels on Utube to see if they are flat and disabled friendly. It does help and it's amazing how the whole world can open up to you.

Maybe we should start a holiday review topic on this site and when any of us go away we can review the resort and hotel for others to read? What do you think?