Toe nails and finger nails problem cutting

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 13. Jan 2016, 14:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good afternoon everyone
I am finding it extremely difficult to cut my toe nails and finger nails as I have not much strength in my fingers. Is it best to get advice re chiropodist from my Rheumatologist or GP. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Valde,

There seems to be a never ending list of 'challenges' when we live with arthritis :? .

Like you I find nail cutting more challenging since the strength in my fingers reduced. I make sure that I attempt to clip them after a bath or shower so that they are softer, and have now got a longer handled pair of nail clippers, the longer leverage seems to help.
    I'm not sure where to get advice re chiropody, but I'm aware that there are private practitioners that you can simply ring for an appointment. It's probably worth asking the rheumy nurse for advice if you have one.

Hopefully there will be others along soon with more to suggest.

Deb x
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    When I could no longer cut my toe nails I mentioned this during a GP visit. He sent me to an NHS clinic for assessment, and from this I was able to access podiatry treatment on the NHS.

At first I was seen roughly every 8 - 9 weeks, but once my toes became more mis-shapen, my visits are now monthly - largely because the knuckle joints are always swollen & inclined to skin, which is best avoided when taking a biologic drug. My finger nails I just file regularly or rope in my hubby.

I also use Flexitol to keep the skin on my feet crack-free.

Perhaps you could see your GP for a referral? When I saw a private podiatrist I think I paid about £20 a visit, but that was a long time ago.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with Tezz,
    Its not lack of strength in my hands thats the problem
    I simply cant bend to cut them due to 2 THR's one which was not successful and also spinal problems.
    I saw my GP about it and have been referred to a Podiatry Assistant every 8 weeks for a cutting session :lol: Be careful because once I was given a podiatrist not an assistant and the next appointment I got from her was 4 months !!!!!! :shock: I only discovered afterwards if you get a podiatrist its much longer a wait than an assistant.
    Ideally you should try to keep filing at them in between appointments......even one toe a day helps

Love
    Hileena
  • valde
    Options
    Thank you for advice and ideas. I will go to chemist to get long handle clippers and try them after shower. I will also speak to consultant when I see him on 18th. Thanks again
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    I think your consultant might just say "see your GP for a referral" Whichever one you see first you can ask I suppose
    Good Luck

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I'm with Hileena. It was my GP who referred me to the podiatrist when, not only could I not reach my toe nails but, because of thickening nails and twisted toes, neither could MR SW – well, safely at least :lol:

As regards clippers – try googling 'disabled nail clippers'. There's a whole variety out there including ones that sit on the table so you just insert your nail. (Not for toe nails though :wink: )
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Fortunately I am ok with fingers still. But for toes I found a local advert for a mobile foot clinic. I have used this for a year now and am fully satisfied and find it very convenient.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    How much does it cost for a mobile clinic? Compared to a GP referral?

Love
    Hileena
  • Gracefully
    Gracefully Member Posts: 20
    Options
    This is really interesting because for a long time I haven't been able to look after my feet but my GP said that I had to be over 70 (I think it was) or diabetic before I could qualify for chiropody on the NHS to help look after my feet.

So I have to pay for the chiropodist - although she is worth every penny and more and doesn't arrange sessions more than I need. I'm currently going around every 6 - 8 weeks.

The last one I went to said I had to go every month and was more expensive.

But now I'm wondering if this is another example of how my GP is not looking after me properly.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi,
    Possibly if you need a podiatrist you have to be over a certain age {I've been going since I was approx 65}
    I only see a podiatrists assistant who cuts my nails and I come out walking on air afterwards. I suppose if you need a podiatrist as opposed to an assistant to work on your feet it might be different.????
    Anyone else have any advice on thise?

Love
    Hileena
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I`ve been going for a few years now, and I`m only just 65, so no age restrictions where I live. There is a separate clinic for diabetics - there are other RAers in the ordinary clinics.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Good points Hileena and Tezz. I was first referred, by my GP, when I was about 50 but I do generally only see the Foot Care Nurse not the podiatrist herself.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I was just thinking about this last night when I noticed that my toe nails need cutting. I tried to contort myself into various positions but failed. I resorted to asking my lovely mum who kindly obliged but she kept grabbing my feet in awkward angles, not realising that they don't move like normal feet. I usually see a chiropodist, who at £30 a pop is not cheap, but needs must. I think the NHS referral criteria are quite strict but I could be wrong?
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Options
    valde wrote:
    Good afternoon everyone
    I am finding it extremely difficult to cut my toe nails and finger nails as I have not much strength in my fingers. Is it best to get advice re chiropodist from my Rheumatologist or GP. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you
    Hi there,

As I think a couple of people have mentioned, I think there is criteria you have to meet in some places, to have support from podiatry in terms of foot care.

I know I've repeatedly been told I don't, I'm not diabetic and I'm 'too young'.

The way I have dealt with this since I was a teenager is I go for regular pedicures- sometimes manicures. They do a thorough job and I also see it as a bit of pampering, often getting a foot massage etc as part of the service :-)

It's not the cheapest option, but as I live on my own its my only option, and I do find it relaxing.
    I think some beauty therapists are mobile so you don't necessarily have to go to a salon etc, although I quite like that myself x
  • pot80
    pot80 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Hilleena, you ask:

I pay the lady £18/visit every couple of months or so. It saves me running my car at so much/mile. It saves me the chore of hanging around the surgery waiting room thus avoiding everybody else's bugs etc. I make the appointments to my convenience. It is also nice to chat to a different person occasionally.
  • valde
    Options
    Many thanks to everyone for ideas and suggestions. I am not diabetic but I am 70 and live alone, so will speak to my GP as I am sure you are right and it is him I have to see and not consultant. I did however go to my local shopping centre and asked in a salon that does pedicure, manicure and eyebrows etc. They charge £10 for pedi and £10 for manicure so £20 perhaps once a month could be a bit of a treat for me so I am going to try it out at end of month. Thanks again.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I can't always use nail clippers, not enough strength or can't get them in the right position, I brought a pair of sidecutter clippers, they look like a small pair of tin snips, I think they came from Boots or Superdrug?