I gave in

Options
PetiteN
PetiteN Member Posts: 87
edited 15. Jan 2016, 03:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Following on from a thread I posted in December, I've finally given in (!) and started on a short course of prednisolone today, having gone to see my GP yesterday in a real state pain wise.

I coped with the flare for months without steroids, a skin infection and flu. I shook off the flu just before Christmas, and was working alot over the Christmas break.

I went back to normal work hours this week properly, with a looming deadline for submission of a professional portfolio (has to be in next Monday) and suddenly my really bad neck problems have started.
My pain levels are off the scale again :-(

I'm a bit stressed due to some personal stuff- other people's stresses, long story, impacting me, on top of having alot of work to complete by next week, so I'm not really at all surprised that my flare has gone up a notch, just disappointed I guess.

I'm hoping the steroids will do enough to get me through the next few days, as I've got to carry on and submit the work.

I'm also hoping the side effects on my mood won't be too bad, now that at least emotionally (as opposed to physically!) I'm in a better place.
I avoid prednisolone as much as possible usually.

I guess I just wanted to talk to people who can relate. My brother and my Dad listen, they're lovely, but no-one really understands how tough it can be.

I can't wait for February and this at least to be done! ;-)

N x

Comments

• Popsmith1874
    Popsmith1874 Member Posts: 29
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I know how y feel I've been off work since Nov due to the chronic pain and fatigue, I've bit the bulletin and phoned the reumy nurse for a kenalog injection because I can't stand the pain anymore I'm on 20 mgs of mets , 500mgs of sulfa and 200mgs of hydrox,but I'm getting worse instead of better
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I really do feel for you, and yes we do understand in our own way..I always say that talking about things really does help..Stress is the worse things for any arthritis, so I hope things sort themselves out, and the steroids bring you some relief..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Oh no you didn't 'give in'. You just let common sense prevail. We are not superhuman - well, most of the time :wink: Sometimes, for a while, something has to give. I hope the stressful situation is as short-lived as possible.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I feel for you but in my book doing what needs to be done to help yourself is not giving in, it's a realistic response. Despite our coping with an abnormal load life gaily continues to inflict its stresses and strains because that is part of the human condition. I hope the pred helps - I suspect it will but it is a short-term 'solution'. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PetiteN
    Options
    Thankyou all.

I'm just always a bit reticent about taking steroids, as they can be a bit risky for my eyes, they push the eye pressure up, and my eye pressure is always on the high side due to the iritis inflammation.
    I've lost nearly all my eyesight in my right eye (98%) due to high pressure, years ago, so I have to be mindful of balancing the steroid benefits with the risk to my eyes (and ensure they're monitored enough).

I have my next eye appointment in six weeks, and will have reduced the steroids considerably by then, so hopefully all will be ok.

Thankyou for your lovely responses :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    How's it going now? Are the steroids helping at all yet? No wonder you're so reluctant to take them with the additional eye problems. I'm hoping the joints are a little better and the eyes no worse.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    On far too many occasions we face Hobson's Choice about what or what not to do: it's not easy. I too am wondering how things are going - I hope there's been an improvement. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PetiteN
    Options
    Hi sticky and DD, sorry about the delay.

The pred has helped me to cope over the last week, it's been a pretty awful week tbh (non arthritis related, but nevertheless).

I'm going to reduce it by 5mg from tomorrow, and the same next week etc, hopefully that won't be too fast a reduction.

I haven't had my eye pressure checked to see if the steroids have affected it, but it feels ok and I'm not getting headaches, so hopefully that's all ok. Due to be seen in just over a month for my eyes appointment, and my next infusion.

Life should be a little calmer from the weekend onwards, and I'm feeling positive, if hungry all the time! I have to keep reminding myself it's just the meds telling me to snack all the time! :-) so far I haven't been too greedy, haha).

N x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hey, well done you! It's not everyone who can hear the pred 'Feed Me' calls and firmly ignore them. And, if it's been a bad week in other ways, at least the pred's made one important difference.

I'm glad the eyes seem unaffected and hope the check-up proves it.

Good luck with the reduction.
    Steven Wright
  • PetiteN
    Options
    Hey, well done you! It's not everyone who can hear the pred 'Feed Me' calls and firmly ignore them. And, if it's been a bad week in other ways, at least the pred's made one important difference.

I'm glad the eyes seem unaffected and hope the check-up proves it.

Good luck with the reduction.

Thankyou :-)