Morning Stiffness and pain

Options
Frose
Frose Member Posts: 14
edited 7. Jan 2016, 06:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,
I'm in need of some advice about morning stiffness and pain. I'm really struggling atm, taking me about 3 hours to feel like I can start the day. I'm off work sick and have no hope of returning whilst like this (I work 9-5 Mon-Fri). Even before RA I struggled in the morning due to depression, RA just compounds this now and it's like waking up at the foot of a mountain I must climb to start the day...

I'm also getting quite a lot of pain in my feet where my big toes join my foot, I've been told there is no inflammation there, but it's painful to walk and very tender to touch. I feel like the bone is sticking out more than before. I'm seeing the nurse next week and want to push to have this investigated, any advice in the meantime? Hot or cold, or both?!!

Thanks guys,
Fi x
Favourite quotes/mantras:
Take one day at a time
Don't compare yourself to others
There is only now :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've always found that the degree of morning stiffness and pain corresponded almost exactly to how well the meds were or weren't working. However, I'm fortunate in that I've never suffered from depression so I don't know how big a factor this would be or how intertwined the two things can become.

I think we all need something to get up for ie something that we look forward to despite the pain involved in getting there. When mine was at its worst I had two small children to look after so no chance of staying in bed apart from one morning when I literally couldn't get out. My GP came round and prescribed pred and I was soon better than for years. (But then took ages to wean myself off the pred :roll: ) Maybe you could try to work out which is the bigger factor for you, the RA or the depression. If the former, ring your rheumatology helpline for advice and, if the latter, your GP.

I'm sorry, I've nothing to offer on the 'toe front'. I completely lost touch with 'normal feet' so long ago that I can't remember what's normal and what isn't. I hope someone else can :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I start stiff and stay stiff, getting stiffer if I sit around too much. I also start in pain and stay in pain but that is the nature of my two beasts. I have around forty affected joints, and used to the background thrum of ongoing pain, but as you are in the early days you must be far more aware of things than me. My toes are affected by my PsA but the swelling and heat are kept at bay by my triple therapy.

You've mentioned the depression before - are you taking anything for it? I take a daily dose of citalopram (20mgs) and that helps me to get on with life and what needs to be done, all the thrilling stuff to do with housework and cooking (I dislike both). I retired aged 53 because I couldn't carry on with my self-employment but having to work must be another pressure on top of dealing with the disease and its fall-out. It takes time to absorb and accept that life seems to have changed beyond all reason and fairness, surely this is the dross that happens to others, not you? Except it has, it's tough and we can empathise. Have you read The Spoon Theory and/or There's a Gorilla in my House? Both give clear, concise explanations of the challenges we face on a daily basis and they can be informative for those around us such as family. Both can be found on the net.

Try heat, try cold and stick with which works the best. I am sure that over time you will develop your personal coping strategies but that can take time. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi, I'm terrible in the morning for pain and stiffness, it takes a good hour or two for me to start moving better. Some mornings I wake and my right knee has locked up and it takes me a good half an hour to get it to unlock and then I have to deal with the stiffness and pain. I think most people with Arthritis have to deal with it and it's an on-going battle for us.
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm sorry hear that you're struggling.

As others have asked, have you had any support with addressing the low mood/depression? (ie talking therapies, or medication).

I think the shorter days and lack of daylight often doesn't help people struggling with low moods and depression.
    Ive had depression myself, and for me the winter was tougher, but vitamin D supplements and buying a light box helped.
    I now work as a therapist, doing talking therapies with clients which really seems to help many people too.

GP's will offer NHS options for mental health care, but the options people are offered can be very limited.
    Private sector and charity support and counselling is another option, and it's often quicker and more diverse than the NHS route:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/seeking-help-for-a-mental-health-problem/where-to-start/?o=24608#.Vo5NzsvnlLM

As for the morning stiffness/ pain etc, I always have a hot shower, or bath to help relax me, sometimes hot packs too whilst having breakfast, sometimes I'll set time aside to try and relax a little in the morning with music and meditation, this seems to help relax tense muscles and ease pain a little.

The point about having some structure/ things to aim for and look forward to is really important too I think.
    I wonder if you're able to plan in some nice things for yourself to do, to look forward to.

I hope you feel a little better soon x