OH review, feeling relieved

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 14. Jan 2016, 05:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I am feeling much less stressed now.
I have seen the OH doctor before but all went well. The referral from HR didn't mention targets at all, it asked if I was covered by the Equalities Act as disabled, were there any further reasonable adjustments that could be made andwere there any health and safety concerns/any negative impacts on my health of my continuing to work?

We had a long chat, he asked about my ongoing problems, did I feel safe at work, how did my disabilities impact on me at work, any other adjustments that could be made and about how I manage at home, sleep etc and of course about my sickness absence. He also asked if my GP and consultant were happy for me to continue to work.

He couldn't set targets but importantly has put in his repot that I suffer from fluctuating conditions which as well as pain can cause severe fatigue and this meant I needed a flexible approach. He said he was "happy" with my sickness absence rate last term and that there are no concerns about my continuing to work.
He has recommended that I have weekly or fortnightly reviews as this will help understanding of my difficulties and how they can fluctuate. Finally he put in the report that he "commended" both me and the school for how we were managing the situation, he said that would go down well with HR (though I did say it was true of the school ), and then said he wanted to commend me on my commitment to work and how well I had/was managing in difficult circumstances.

He will email the report to my Head, HR and of course to me.

All in all a good outcome.

Thank you all for your support and I hope you all have a good weekend.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's great news Slosh, I was wondering how it had gone. You should indeed be commended on your 'sticking power' and commitment.......it's what keeps you there sharing your experience and skills. Now relax and enjoy your weekend.

:D:D:D

Deb xx
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    Options
    I've been following your posts, and really glad you've had such a good meeting today x
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    So pleased to hear this. A well deserved outcome but what a pity it had to come with all the preliminary angst.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all, because things have changed/deteriorated since I last saw him I was worried that he might feel that I wasn't able to continue working due to my disability.
    Next thing will be the follow up meeting with HR....oh the joys!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    I've been thinking about you today and am so pleased that it went well.

Meg
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Slosh, I am absolutely delighted that this went so well. When HR see this report they'll know they need to support you more effectively.

I very strongly feel that those of us with "health challenges" still working, make twice the effort our non-challenged colleagues do just to keep up with them. Sadly, that twice the effort approach isn't always appreciated or acknowledged.

Hope you have a lovely weekend now.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Sounds like a good one Slosh. Mig
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    :D:D:D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good - this sounds promising, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I'm so pleased at the more positive outcome, Slosh - you are a valued employee, and it seems that your worth has been recognised. Good news!!
  • Slosh
    Options
    It does make me feel much more positive that I can continue to work for a while longer. From things he said and from the referral sent it seems as though the original meeting was a bit of a "fising trip" to see how I would react. Whereas at that meeting I was told it was not about my ability to do my job, he was clear that this is a factor and in future I should take evidence of my effectiveness with me. He also said the reason he asked if my GP/consultant were happy for me to continue to work is because GPs in particular are in the best position to make this decision as they see us more regularly.
    Feeling tired today but I think that's partly the relief.

:D
    Julian of Norwich
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Glad everything went well for you Slosh, just a shame you had to go through all that stress and anxiety to get to the happy ending.
    Hope things continue to go well, look after yourself, all the best, slomo
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Slosh,

Sorry I haven't been around much but I have been trying to keep up-to-date. It sounds like they're trying to support you to stay in work and to stay well. Good start to the new term, yes?

Enjoy your weekend.
    love Sophie x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Starburst, yes, even though HR might not be too happy about it, it doesn't look as they are going to be able to push me out just yet!
    Julian of Norwich
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    So glad that went well Slosh - you've been incredible in the way you have managed to keep going at school, even when it has been so hard for you. Here's hoping the positive report helps at school as well
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you for that, I wonder how much is the effect of spending most of my working life dealing with Inclusion in schools and already having an understanding and awareness of the DDA. I wouldn't have been able to continue working full time with my previous job description but being able to apply to go part time under the flexible working rules and then having the protection of a"protected characteristic" under the Equalities Act made all the difference.

I am also lucky in having the support of the Head teacher.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I was just saying to my Mum (who is struggling at work and has Ulcerative Colitis) that it's very important to be aware of your rights as a person with a disability in employment.

I'm glad you have support. It makes all the difference.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm so pleased you had a good outcome, your commitment to your job is an amazing thing and the school should be proud of you for wanting to stay doing your job when most people walk away because they can't handle the stress! Where as you want to keep your job while dealing with the pain due to your disability. I'm so pleased you can relax now knowing everything is good. You are an inspiration to others. :)