I knew I didn't throw my old laptop for a reason!

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 14. Jan 2016, 09:03 in Community Chit-chat archive
I had to change my laptop Sept last year as the fan was giving up, so I went to a retailer who offers 2 year guarantees, got a new laptop, printer and software from them. I paid for a home set up so was stress free for the process.

Sadly, my laptop is about to return to the store as it's calling for what it terms "critical updates" but when I click on "download updates" it won't, despite my having tried several times and leaving it on one day for 4 hours. That little blue line didn't move and it was still on 0% progress. I've tried several times to do this and as I was concerned about possibly breaking the T&C's of the warranty, thought I should follow this up, although the laptop itself is still working wonderfully well.

So my new laptop goes back tomorrow (should have been this afternoon but my hospital appointment had to be the priority), I need to leave it with them, the tech guys will check it as they think a setting on the anti-virus may have changed following that updating and be blocking the downloads. If they can't resolve it in store, the laptop will go back to the manufacturers. I hope they can do this in store as I'll get it back a lot quicker. My retired laptop - 'old faithful' (the one with the dodgy fan) will come back into play until my new one comes back.

As a precaution I've got my shopping order for next week done so that I don't over-tax 'old faithful'.

As my late Dad used to say "don't throw things out willy-nilly as you never know they might come in handy". I am so grateful I still have 'old faithful' to use.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh!

Good job it 'went wrong' so quickly Grace and is all covered :)

Also I am very pleased you kept 'old faithful' and won't be off line!

Your lovely sparkling new lap top will soon be home with you safe and sound :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I'm delighted to say that my laptop is now home, and is better.

The problem was confirmed as being the fact that it originally had Windows 8.1 on it but the downloads it needed to do were too new for that version of Windows. I now have Windows 10 which I'm sure once I get used to it will be fine.

Old Faithful didn't have to be woken up from his slumbers and is still happily hibernating in the drawer. It was good to know though that Old Faithful was there if I'd needed him.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Good news indeed. I hope you get on OK with Windows 10 and very wise to hang on to the old one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright