Winter blues

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 14. Jan 2016, 08:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
This is really quite unlike me. I have a history of low mood but not for about 4 or 5 years, so it has come as a surprise. It's taken a few weeks to figure out what is causing my general feelings of "meh" and "bleh". I've mentioned before that over nearly 2 years, I've slowly lost 4.5 stone but I've put on about 7 pounds over the Christmas period which is making me feel sluggish and bloated. My joints are giving me more grief than usual which is compounding my low motivation. I have a plan to get more active and eat more healthily. I hope that my mood will lift as the pounds start dropping off again.

I really need to get push myself because I need to be in tip top shape for my new job. :D It's a very similar job but much more locally and with more opportunity to move up to the next level. This is all positive but I've been veering towards a more negative outlook lately.

I wonder if it's the weather or the time of year, maybe? Anyone else feeling a little blue? Please kick me up the backside and help me get back to normal Sophie.

Comments

• Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the new job, that's fantastic news and being closer to home will make a huge difference.
    As for the "meh" and"bleh" feelings you are not alone! I never like this time of year, Christmas is over and Easter seems a long way off, the days are short so it can feel sometimes as if you never see daylight, I know I feel like this on workdays, and getting up on dark mornings is hard and the weather is miserable. I've been feeling much the same and I haven't dared jump on the bathroom scales...but my smart trousers are feeling a bit tighter than before Christmas.

I also imagine that there is a bit of apprehension about starting your new job as well as the excitement of a new challenge, that is normal for anyone doing this but you also have to contend with new colleagues learning to understand your difficulties.

Anyway I'm sure as the days lengthen and you get settled into your new job your mood will lighten, and good luck with it.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Sophie, no backside kicking but maybe some gentle encouragement.......

I think many people go flat post Christmas, we hit it with so much busyness and such high hopes of special times that afterwards it's easy to feel a bit blue and unmotivated. Added to that you are engaged in a constant battle with your body just to do stuff that the non arthritics take for granted. :?

So , so gentle with yourself, set some realistic and achievable goals with regard to getting back to your ideal weight, plan how you're going to go forward....then in true Sophie style look the world in the eye and give it your best shot!!

The new job sounds like a real bonus, less travelling and the chance to move onwards and upwards :)

You have dealt with so much already, you can and will move beyond this phase, recognise it for the blip that it is, then try to find some small achievements to celebrate and let them motivate you onwards.

Here are some 'just incase hugs' to get you moving ((((( ))))))

Deb xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I can't really add to, only endorse, Slosh's and dibdab's posts. It's probably an unholy mixture of several things but I'd suspect new job stress as the main culprit and my money's on it all resolving once you feel at ease in it. I hope so.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Hi Sophie, I agree with the others on this. I always feel a bit low from Christmas till about the end of January and then start to improve as we head into February. I think the weather is making it all feel worse too.
    Then of course the new job! Well done you getting yourself a new job! You're bound to be a bit nervous about your first day, that's natural. I think you'll start to feel better once you've got your first day over.
    Good luck, will be thinking of you
    slomo
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I know that January has the same number of days as July and August (and other months too) but I think due to the darker days, generally grottier weather and the lack of cash after the costs of Christmas it's a month that seems to last twice as long as it should. The shortest day is around three weeks behind us now so the days are gradually lengthening; that's a positive and I think you have other positives to reflect upon too but that doesn't mean that you can, does it?

I'm hoping that the promised cold snap will herald brighter weather, with some decent cold to get rid of the various bugs and germs that are swilling so freely around. That might well help you to feel a little brighter and I hope it does. The new job sounds promising and I'm sure you will soon settle in and relish the challenge as you usually do. There's nothing wrong with a dip into the shallow end of the PoSP, it does us good from time to time to stop donning the mask of assumed cheeriness to make others feel better, yes? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    You could be affected by S.A.D (seasonal affected Disorder), it's like a winter blues because of the dark mornings and because it gets dark early. It is common, I think a lot of people feel low this time of year!
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I'm there with you Sophie. I've been calling it the arthritic doldrums. I really don't like this time of year because I always feel some pressure to "shape up" and snap out of it. Whatever "it" is. I haven't wanted to post my gloom because I feel that's all I ever offer my arthritic forum friends :oops: . I've even missed booking a rheum appt because I'm thinking what's the point, it'll just be more of the same.

I won't kick your butt but hopefully, things will improve for you mood-wise very soon. My OH got me a puppy for Christmas and she is a wonderful anti-depressant(!) but, oh the state of the house! I'm trying not too think of the effort I'll be making to get it semi-organized again. The pup is working for me but is a huge commitment and obviously can't recommend getting one of those! Every gain in mood has been offset by knee pain traipsing up and down stairs taking the wee doggie outside.

Best wishes for your new job!
    Anna
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. I read them yesterday but hadn't summoned the energy to reply. I was a bit worried about posting. I worry that it's a sign of weakness admitting that I'm struggling so much. :oops: Reading it back, it sounds ridiculous and I'd certainly not think that of anyone else. I know I'm being hard on myself and that's not my best quality.

I weighed myself and I'd actually only put on 5lbs which is slightly less than I had guessed. It's a good analogy for how I am about the moment. The anticipation of everything feels worse than the reality.

I don't have a start date for my new job, hopefully by the start of April. I have a few days of annual leave at the end of the months, as well as a week in Feb and two weeks in March. So, I have some time to rest and look after myself a bit. I'm finding more tired than usual which isn't helping.

It helps to know that I'm not alone. Thank you. xx
  • PetiteN
    PetiteN Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling, and it isn't a sign of weakness to admit that you're struggling, I think it's really healthy.

It puts you in the powerful position of admitting that things are tough, making you more able to think about support or what changes might help,(as opposed to not feeling able to express it, and then consequently probably more likely to avoid finding support and ways forward).

I'm pretty sure everyone struggles at times, and it's a good thing to be open and seek support, share experiences of what might help etc.
    As everyone's said, January particularly can be a tough month.
    I wonder if a light box might help you at all, they can be great at this time of year.

I hope today hasn't been too bad for you x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Petite well done for thinking of the light box, I forgot about that! My Aunt suffers from S.A.D and I know she is having a hard time particularly due to this weather making it seem dark all day. She is a teacher and has to get up to go to work when it's dark and comes home when it's dark. She does have a light box and I know it does help. To be honest I have been feeling low lately and lethargic, it's an effort to get up of a morning, my poor OH has to get me moving so he can assist with getting my clothes on as well as get ready for work himself! It is horrible to feel like this and it's good to know you are not alone.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I was a bit worried about posting. I worry that it's a sign of weakness admitting that I'm struggling so much.
    Quite the opposite I would say. It's a sign of strength to admit not only that you are finding things hard, but that you are not necessarily sure of either the cause or the solution.
    It's like courage - you can't be courageous if you don't feel fear.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Daffy's quite right but I think you really know that already. It's just that, in the bad times, we become less sure of our 'knowledge'.

And, if you can't admit you're struggling to us who are all too familiar with the struggle, when can you? I found myself explaining to my son the other day the inestimable value of having people around who just instinctively grasp the length and breadth and depth of a situation that would be a mere blip to ordinary healthy mortals such as he.

I do agree that anticipation can be worse than reality. I hope you can use your holiday time well and productively to get right away from daily trials.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright