I'm getting tired of this.

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Feb 2016, 04:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am in my second week of things not being too bonny. I don't regard my arthritis as an illness - it's a fact of life, it's not going away so my view is get on as best I can regardless but this blasted bug, infection or whatever is dragging me down. My temperature remains slightly raised (so probably won't be regarded as a temp by the medicos), my joints are in overdrive, I am extra extra tired with a slight sore throat, slight earache in the right ear, I've lost my appetite, don't fancy wine and this morning a spectacularly loose stomach. :shock: I spoke to my eminently sensible GP last week who decided there was nothing specific enough to warrant antibios (I rang the surgery after learning that a small boy I saw on Boxing Day might have gone down with measles, it turned out he hadn't but he had something nasty. He is better which is a good thing).

Fortunately I have a rheumatology appointment today so I'm hoping that the bloods I had done on Friday might hint at what is going on. I'm happily going on my own, taking a taxi rather than drive and I hope to find some sort of solution, even if it's 'Go and see your GP. ' Wish me luck! DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hm. I regard my arthritis as a diseased fact of my life.

Bugs, however, as you say, are a different matter. Well, not entirely different as I've always found that anything that raised my temperature also encouraged the RA to raise its ugly head. You appear to have 'slight' everything (apart from lose innards) and that can result in major aches and stiffness. It's no fun but I guess Christmas is a time when folks all over the country come together to exchange germs. I know you are assiduous in your anti-bac wipes, alcohol gels etc but germs are vicious, sneaky little devils.

You are doing the right thing by using taxis today. I doubt the rheumatologist will have an opinion on it but worth a quick ask while you're there. Other than that I guess it's the usual warm, hydrated rest - and luck. I wish you plenty of the latter.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    So sorry to hear this DD, it sounds like a mix of what to others would be dismissed as "a bit of a bug" and "just not feeling quite right", but for you/us are more like the "straw the broke the camels back". I think you're sensible to get a taxi rather than drive today and I hope the appointment is helpful.
    Sending gentle hugs (((())))
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope your appointment went well, DD, and you got some helpful advice.

I hope you`ll feel better soon.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hope your rheumatologist can help,time you had a little respite,hugs (((()))) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I send my thanks to those who replied. The appointment went, what more can I say? :wink: As usual my bloods were lovely apart from a slightly raised CRP (from 2 up to 7) with evidence of inflammation on my right knee and left elbow. I refused an aspiration plus steroid on the knee because I've been there, done that and got nowhere so can't see the point. My rheumatologist agreed that I have one of the myriad bugs that are going on around here and, in addition to stopping the meth and humira (which I have) I am to stop the sulph too, to help me get over this: she reckons I could be in for another week or ten days of grot and then wants me to have another blood test before I resume the meds. I will do just that.

I am pleased I booked taxis because the parking was non-existent, be you Blue Badged or otherwise. I am now twanging not-so-gently thanks to the necessary prodding but will now start preparing an easy evening meal. Mr DD has had a very tough day so needs a proper dinner: sadly for him it involves girly chicken! :wink: DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    There are some nasty bugs going around DD, we have one compliments of our GD...but I know they are extra nasty with the meds your are on..I hope your rheumy can offer some help...and holpfully it will ease up very soon..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    How horrid for you DD. It's the time of year for a nasty bug and Arthur is nothing if not a joiner-in

Hope you feel better soon
    x
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi DD
    Although you were going on your own was thinking of you and hoping you'll soon be back to your normal self.
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope things don't get worse before they start to get better for you. Take it steady
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi DD,
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling under the weather. What really set the alarm bells ringing for me, was the fact you don't fancy wine!! I feel this must be addressed immediately. You probably hadn't been drinking enough wine anyhow, as I recently read that wine is "a powerful ally" against the common cold. Something to keep in mind once you're better. In the mean time, could you be tempted with beer? Perhaps a honey flavoured one (to help ease your sore throat). A hot toddy could be beneficial, especially with added honey, (again for your sore throat) and lemon (vitamin C, also being fruit, one of your five a day).
    I think once you get on top of this drink problem you'll soon start to feel much better. :wink:
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

Numpty, you are irreplaceable - and irrepressible. It's always good to see you on here :D
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    :lol:
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Sorry to hear things are not improving for you DD. I can't help feeling this grotty weather really isn't helping a lot of us, not least because not seeing the sun for days on end is mighty depressing in itself, but also because it does seem to make for major germ proliferation.
    I echo Slosh and hope you don't go backwards before things improve.
    Numpty is an excellent example of AnA - anarchic arthritics. Government publishes doom and gloom alcohol warning, so we espouse the joys and benefits of fermented fruit and grain.
  • Hips12
    Hips12 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    So sorry to hear that you are still feeling poorly, it is certainly dragging on, and dragging you down DD.
    I really hope you will start to feel better soon.

Hips xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Once again my thanks to all of you, it's good to know you're there. In my experience things always get worse before they start to improve and I reckon I'm in that stage now. I feel dreadful after yesterday's exploits but I'm pleased I went because I rarely get to see my rheumatologist thanks to the new 'improved' system of appointments at my hospital. She was filling out my blood forms yesterday and imparted the jolly news that this is now going to be passed over to the patients' GPs to do which will be an utter faff for me but at least the parking will be easier. I sighed, then she said that she wouldn't do that with me because she wanted to keep in touch - we'll see if that comes to pass.

It would be easier if just one or two symptoms would stay around instead of things changing on a daily basis. :) What isn't changing, however, is the general feeling of dross, lassitude and no appetite. Perhaps the upside will be emerging from this a few pounds lighter in the body and heavier in the purse! DD
  • judijudi
    judijudi Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi DD, I am glad you feel you might be at the "the worst is almost over" stage. I don't envy you this bug, as I imagine you take meds that mess with your immune system. I hope that tomorrow will find you feeling at least a little bet better, and as a very wise NumptyDumpty said, able to get some alcohol of some kind into you! :lol:

I'll think of you and hope you are feeling better as I go into the dreamless land of anaesthesia tomorrow! :!:

Judi
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    I hope you're feeling better soon, DD. Hopefully, it's a bug that will soon be gone. I've somehow managed to dodge the local viruses so far this fall and winter, 'tho OH was not feeling well last night so may have brought something home with him. Hope not :?
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Judi? Anaesthesia is my favourite form of pain relief but, alas and alack, I'm not awake to enjoy it! I had the carpal tunnel done under local in both hands (which made that part of recovery quicker) but I was still without both hands for a while - you should still have one available to you I hope.

Hello Boomer, I guess this is just one of those things. I'm off all my meds so no doubt the PsA will take its opportunity to have a snap; the weather has become somewhat cooler here so the OA is having a go because it can. Arthritis - the gift that keeps on giving. :roll: DD
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi DD,

Sorry to hear you've been so under the weather. Hopefully the complete break from all things immune suppressing will give your body some time to fight the nasties.

Take care and take it easy.
    Sophiex
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The Spouse is now coughing and sniffling - last night he told me that two of his colleagues went to their doctors because they are five weeks' in with something nasty - and they're healthy bods. :roll: Bring on the cold snap, puh-leeeeeese - let's get rid of these germs for al our sakes.

Right, brekkie, cuppa and back to bed for yours truly. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think you have your wish, DD. Daytime temperatures up here are due to proceed in an orderly direction down to zero by Monday. We've already had 9non-laying) snow all morning. I hope your own temp will make the journey back to normal by then.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It's bliss outside: 0 degrees, bright sun and blue sky. It's not so blissful indoors though, Spouse working at home which means extra tea-and-lunch making, he offered to get a takeaway tonight but the roads around here are not wonderful and I was planning a chilli so chilli we will have.

I am beginning not only to feel brighter but it's also lasting longer. The joints are winding up because they have the chance but stopping the meds had to be done - whatever this is it's nasty and I want rid! DD
  • parkin80
    parkin80 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    Just read your post and feel exactly the same. Before Christmas my WBC were really low due to a cold and other bug and was having major flare ups. Hospital took me off Humira and then on to steroids for 3 weeks. Went back onto Humira as WBC had gone up and gradually reduced the steroids.
    Now Im having a major flare up again, cant sleep, everywhere is stiff, my shoulders feel like they're burning and my hands are massive but I haven't had an illness to reduce my immune system. Ive felt like ive hd a cold fro a few weeks but nothing ever came out as was trying to fight it off.

Surely I cant be like this everytime theres a slight sniffle or can I? Anyone got any tips?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums parkin80 from the moderation team

As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

Best wishes

Mod JK
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry you've been having a rough time too, it's not fun for the likes of us at this time of year. I stop the immuno-suppressants to help my immune system fire up to fight the infection and of course this gives the arthritis a chance to come back too. My hospital have always told me to do this and I am well-practiced at noting the early symptoms of trouble.

One of the biggest problems we have is that when we catch something we don't immediately produce symptoms, due to the immuno-suppressants, thus giving the bug time to get established. If we keep taking the meds we stay poorlier for longer whereas stopping them does give us a chance to get better. I enjoy stopping the meds because I always feel better in myself despite being 'properly' ill. :) I don 't often go down with bugs, I am an assiduous hand-washer and anti-bac wipe user but this one, I suspect, was bought home by my husband from his office; healthy people there were struggling with coughs and sneezes for up to six weeks. He didn't catch it because he too is an assiduous hand-washer etc.

Do you take anything else alongside the humira? From what you have described it sounds as though your arthritis is not yet under proper control. DD