New member, having trapeziectomy tomorrow

Options
judijudi
judijudi Member Posts: 8
edited 23. Jan 2016, 14:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I am new here, and need some advice. I have been reading the information posted by others, which has been very helpful, but I still have questions.

I am having left hand trapeziectomy tomorrow, and am afraid I don't have enough information to prepare for the recovery. My OH will be home with me for 4 days, after that I'm on my own during the day.

A bit worried about sleeping. Any advice on how to keep arm raised during sleep? I may get this information from the PT after surgery, but I just want to make sure I have what I need while I am still able to do a few things.

I will probably need to post this to another topic...been a while since I have used a forum!

Thanks to all who have helped me without knowing it!

Judi

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes

ModA
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Hi there Judi and welcome. I've never had a trapeziectomy but there are several threads on it near the top of the 'Say Helllo' forum. November seems to have been trapeziectomy month :lol: Also, further down this (LWA) forum, you'll find a thread by 'drewa' – 'Trapeziectomy and live alone' – which might help.

As a veteran of other ops though I'm sure you'll be given all the essential info you need before your discharge. Just ask about anything you're not sure of.

I hope all goes well. Do keep in touch.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope all went well today. I don't think we can ever 'plan' a recovery because there are so many unknowns and variables, all we can do is take things one day at a time. I haven't had this op but I had a double carpal tunnel, meaning both hands were out of use for ten days or so - my choice, the surgeon agreed to do it and luckily The Spouse was able to be around to help out (but he worked from home during that time). Drewa's thread may well be useful reading for you and I hope it helps.

I think the key thing to any post-op recovery is patience from the patient, healing takes time and that is easily forgotten with the demands of modern life. I hope all is as well as it can be but I suspect things will be sore for a little while because any form of surgery disturbs things which weren't expecting to be disturbed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • judijudi
    Options
    Thanks, stickywicket, I am sure you are right. I have read the Trapeziectomy threads, which have been very helpful. I had a knee replacement in 2013, and for some reason this has me more worried. There is something about not being able to use your hands that is very...limiting, I guess is the word. I'll know in more a couple of days! Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
  • judijudi
    Options
    Thanks, DD! I was sure I posted this earlier, but my brain is not really in gear. I appreciate your advice, and am going to try very hard to just go with the flow, as they say!

All the best,

Judi
  • stickywicket
    Options
    hey, good luck! I'm sure you won't need it but just to be on the safe side :D
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I hope all went well and you are feeling OK within yourself. How's life with just one hand? Challenging I expect! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I hope things went well with the op. I suppose you won't be tying too much in the short term, but i hope the recovery is going well
  • magzadoodle
    magzadoodle Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey! How's it going?

I had left hand trapeziectomy in August 2014 and having right hand done on 8th Feb - I'm happy to help where I can whilst I can type!

Hope it went well :)
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Hi magzadoodle. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you all the best for February. I hope to see you around on other threads :)
    Steven Wright