hi guys

Options
KathR63
KathR63 Member Posts: 3
edited 31. Jan 2016, 14:23 in Say Hello Archive
Hi my names Kath I'm 53 this April 1st time I've posted on any site I'm so frustrated, sorry everyone. Well here we go about two years ago I had terrible pain in my elbows and the doc said tennis elbow, gave me steroid injection and I carried on as normal, then about 8 months after that my shoulders were terrible couldn't carry shopping or lift my arms above my head, went to doc again and they X rayed, results rotator cuff injury on both, then my elbows started again another steroid injection, August 2015 my thumbs and small fingers on both hands became painfull no swelling but thumbs twisting and groves in my nails, went back to my doc had X-rays and all the blood test, blood tests came back as negative for RA but she said X-rays looked like oesteoarthritis, I was shocked but then I said my Grandmother who has sadly passed away now, mother and Aunties suffer from RA, 6 female close relatives, she just looked at the computer and gave me some cocodimol and sugested physiotherapy I came out feeling really let down. Started going to a physiotherapist he had concerns saying I really should see a fumatologist .Now I have pain in my heals, ankles, knees small amount in my back plus my hands (fingers are sometimes numb and painfull) elbows and shoulders I also feel very tired and achey and can't seem to go by without crying at least once a day. So off I trot back down to my docs and explained my symptoms again and the pain I'm in, sometimes not being able to sleep because of the pain and aches, she's still saying OA as I'm not suffering from Psoriasis, I explained all my systems again and what the physio said, finally she gave in and said maybe I should see a rheumatologist, have a appointment beginning March. All I want is the correct diagnosis from someone who is actually listening. Also have terrible sweats just finished my menopause so don't think that's the reason. Sorry for the winge :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello KathR63

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod B
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it sounds as though you are in the early stages of negotiating the arthritis maze and it's a complicated one! GPs know a little about a lot which doesn't help those of us with more specific needs. Your GP did the right thing in having blood tests done but because they came back as negative for rheumatoid factor does not mean that you do not have some form of auto-immune arthritis happening. They may well not be aware of that.

I know that people without any direct experience of arthritis think there are two kinds, OA and RA. They may not know that RA has an auto-immune root (i.e. the body attacks itself) but they also won't know that there are around 300 kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions. Neither will they be aware that these can be sero-positive (i.e. rheumatoid factor is showing in the bloods) or sero-negative (it isn't). I have a sero-negative version but at first rheumatology told me I didn't have any kind of auto-immune troubles, then they had to admit I did. :)

I hope you can see from this very basic information that there are no quick answers if one doesn't present with exactly the right symptoms in exactly the right places. It eventually turned out that I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) but with very little of the skin trouble. PsA is supposed to begin in the smaller joints, such as the fingers and toes, but mine started in my left knee. It is a sero-negative kind but my inflammatory markers were pretty high which gave the game away there was something auto-immune going on. I have a background of auto-immune issues which was further proof that things weren't right.

I'm nineteen years in now and have OA in some useful places and fibromyalgia. Sweating in very common for me, it's either due to pain, the meds I take, the fibro or a lovely combination of the three. Life's not as much fun as it should be (though why I think I'm entitled to fun I don't know!) but it is manageable and I get on with things as best I can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello and welcome from me, too. I can't really add to DD's very comprehensive reply so I won't try other than to suggest you might want to read up on the different types of arthritis and how to manage it (grey tabs above).

Arthritis of any kind is painful and a diagnosis can be hard to accept and to come to terms with. Fatigue is a big factor in autoimmune types of arthritis and taking strong pain relief only adds to that. However, your GP might feel it's bestter not to prescribe anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen and naproxen until you've seen the rheumatologist. The waiting period will be difficult but we are here to offer sympathy, empathy and support.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tiswas
    Tiswas Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi Kath
    I can't really add any more advice, except to say Keep on at them!

The first Doctor I saw 21years ago sent me to a Sexually Transmitted Disease clinic. It was a big surprise to me because he had just said that he would 'refer me' (never said to where). :?
    It was only when a rather large, camp male nurse shoved a dry cotton wool bud down the end of my 'ding dong' whilst asking me what kind of sex I'd had recently I twigged where I was. (I honestly didn't know what a Urology Clinic was!) He told me that I had a very forward thinking doctor as there was a new line of thinking that inflammation of the knee could be caused by STD's :o

I digress...........to cheer us both up!....

You have very similar symptoms to me and I put up with GP's faffing about for 15 years. One told me to keep taking Paracetamol on a regular basis. As this would mask the pain and enable me to keep mobile and that would enable my body to produce its own lubrication.
    It was only when I suffered the Tennis Elbow misdiagnosis like you that I demanded to see the Senior Practitioner who referred my to my Rheumatologist.

Keep on at them.... You know your body!

Regards

64yo Male - Gout (at the mo!)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    To be fair, Tiswas, it's not quite as far-fetched as it sounds. There is a kind of arthritis called Reactive Arthritis which can be caused by, among other things, STDs. It's quite rare though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • KathR63
    KathR63 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, will ring hospital tomorrow and see what they can do. X