A rubbishy day just got better

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
edited 2. Feb 2016, 11:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have something. I'm not sure what. Some vague lurgi or other. Nothing that requires bed rest and cosseting. Just something that has sapped my energy, given me a slight headache and dodgy stomach and made my eyes feel hot ie something with which I can continue most daily chores – and I have done – while feeling ready to drop. Naturally I blamed a post-meth day at first but that was Friday. Now I'm attempting the ignore-it-and-it'll-go-away approach. But it hasn't yet. Plus my ancient TKR has been playing up for a week.

I had finished prepping the salmon pie for later, gazed despairingly at a kitchen full of washing up and decided to make more by brewing up before tackling it. Then the doorbell rang. It was the wheelchair repair man who had come to replace the footplates They'd only been replaced in November but the design had changed and my ancient TKR could no longer bend far enough for me to get that foot on the footplate. He'd come with a pair of the old design ones.

Then he asked how long I'd had it, reckoned it must be well over six years (as mine bore the label of the hospital where they were formerly based) and said he'd list all the worn parts and get me a new one. I said that was very kind of him but would it be worth it as we were intending moving up to Scotland within the year and it did still work OK.

He said they get some people who want a new one because theirs is 12 months old and no longer bright and shiny :shock:

“Just take it with you.” he said. “Let us know when you're going and where and we'll notify your new hospital that it's now their responsibility.”

Blimey! I'd thought that I'd be a while without one. I like the sound of his idea. And it was perfect timing. The day just got better :D

Now for the washing up :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's a bit of good news, but I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling grotty, Sticky. Take it easy and look after yourself. Hope you're feeling much better tomorrow.

Meg
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon, Sticky - and very good news on the wheelchair front!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hope you start to feel better soon Sticky, there are a lot of nasty bugs going round at the moment.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hope the lurgy leaves you soon! But doesn't someone being kind and thoughtful cheer up a gloomy day........ it seems to me that your move, though unsettling, will be a really positive thing in the long term.

Deb xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    For what it's worth I think you have a bug of some unspecified form or other, there are hundreds going around at the moment thanks to the mild weather and germ-ridden humans insisting on sharing their nasties with total strangers.

So, a new chair? I hope it will be an improvement on the current model and that it's more comfortable for you to use. DD :balloon:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    Thank you one and all.

The lurgi is still lurking and the head still aching but my body is feeling more my own. (Aaaargh :lol: )

At least I can now sit comfortably in my wheelchair again without having to cross my legs because the right foot wouldn't reach the footplate.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    oh SW ..you never mention feeling poorly..so I recon you are downgrading it..its good that you are carrying on and trying to ignore it..but after all the cooking and washing up have a nice rest..
    How good of them to offer a new Chair..even after your move...
    I hope you feel better very soon...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better soon, Sticky. I finally succumbed to a late January bug of some kind. Ick. I hope you don't.