Tips for work

Options
daniivca
daniivca Member Posts: 30
edited 3. Feb 2016, 02:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all I'm new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong section! I've lived with arthritis since I was 6 months old and I'm now 25. Due to the type (palindromic Rheumtism) I'm not in constant pain as it comes in flare ups. Over the years I've learnt to pace myself when I'm in a flare up and cope with pain somewhat. The only problem I have is that I'm in a very physically demanding job that involves bending and lifting. I was just wondering if any people out there have any tips on how to maybe manage my pain a little bit better and how to get people to maybe understand how that you may not see how much pain I'm in but it's there I'm not just been lazy by sitting down. Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• conway07
    conway07 Member Posts: 5
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi daniivca, I'm also new to this! Nice to meet someone who is a newcomer and also the same age, at least we have a few things in common. I've lived with Rheumatoid Arthritis from the age of 15 and like yourself am now 25. I wasn't quite aware of all the various types of Arthritis until I actually done some research to find out the list is very lengthy and covers many different variations. What type of medication have you been prescribed for your Arthritis? And are you on any pain relief? I totally understand where your coming from when you mention flare ups as they can present themselves at any time and its a mystery as to how long they will stay. As for your job, if it involves a lot of bending and lifting theres certainly going to be times that it will put pressure on your joints! If your worried about people judging you regarding your work and when you need to rest, it would maybe help if you explained your circumstances just to give them a better knowledge and to hopefully make you feel less uncomfortable when carrying out your work.

Hope this has helped a little! :)
  • daniivca
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year but they think I've had it since I was 6 months old just my old GP was a bit rubbish and never believed I was in a lot of pain then when I moved doctors I was referred to rheumatology and I'm on DMARDs (hydroxychloroquine) and also Celebrex as it's the only NSAID that will actually take some of the pain away and I've tried in the past but it doesn't seem to work but I'll get there eventually they are realising more now that I've been fully diagnosed and I can tell them what l type I actually have now
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I count myself lucky in that a) I'm in pain all the time so know what's what and b) I'm retired! Gauging and understanding pain in others is very hard to do especially if those trying to gauge it can only relate to having toothache which goes after a few days.

There are around 300 kinds of auto-immune inflammatory conditions so accurate diagnosis can take some time. GPs know a little about a lot so I'm not surprised that your childhood GP wasn't more bothered, there is still an opinion that only older people have arthritis which, as we know, is wrong. I think if you gather as much information about your condition so you can 'educate' your employers then that may be a positive step towards their gaining some understanding. What do you do? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daniivca
    Options
    I'm a veterinary care assistant in a extremely busy and understaffed vets! I aren't able to go in today due to the crescendo of my flare up so I'm not a happy bunny and feel like I just want to cry at the moment!