neuropathic pain

Options
bounce
bounce Member Posts: 106
edited 26. Feb 2016, 04:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, sorry not been around much, its due to work times being changed completely, lovely wet and cold playing murder with me and being completely tired out a lot.

I thought I would ask you all for any advice to deal with neuropathy in the feet, and im not diabetic.
Its driving me crazy as it doesnt really let up much, im on Gabapentin for it, but has anyone got any ways of dealing with it or trying to ease the level down.

I would be so very grateful for any kind of help.

Thanks in advance

Jules

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I can't be of any help unfortunately as I've got OA. However, if I were in your position I'd be getting back to my GP as soon as I could as your GP should be able to help with this. Have you thought about asking for a referral to a pain clinic (apologies if you've done this already)?
    I hope it settles soon for you.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • bounce
    Options
    Hi Grace, thanks for your reply, I have OA its been a few years living with that little doozy.

Im on 1800mg of Gabapentin a day, which the pain clinic keeps upping for me, a lot of it is due to most of my working life standing in an area for the day, not moving around much, but I make my workmates laugh when I do foot and leg stretches during the work time,

Im just finding it so tough to cope with at the moment and now I cannot wear my trainers to work either, bosses are strict on work attire now, :cry:
    So im trying to find a way to cope with this foot pain, its a lot worse then the arthur pain at the moment :roll:

So I just got to find all the right little bites of info to help me beat this nasty episode.

Thanks again

Jules
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to see your name again albeit for the wrong reasons. I have OA in addition to another form of arthritis but, so far, I have avoided the neuropathic complication. Which of your joints are affected and, apart from the gab, what else are you taking? For my OA I take 30/500 cocodamol per day plus the occasional diclofenac but my circumstances are different to yours. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bounce
    Options
    Hi DD,

its both feet and right hand unfortunately , so working FT in retail is having to be on my feet for hours, at times I can walk around the store and other times im stuck at a till, but I do my ROM exercises when im stuck in one place, makes my fellow workers laugh at least.

for my OA I take Tramacet 37.5mg/325mg 2, 4 times a day, ( tramadol and paracetamol ) omprazole, meloxicam 2X 2 times a day for inflammation, and 20mg Amatriptyline to help me to get more sleep. I rattle when I walk. :lol:

Neuropathic pain is a nightmare, it can really dig in very quickly then stays for a long while, eases, then digs in again. I wouldnt wish it on my greatest enemy, it wears you down fast.

Pops had Peripheral Neuropathy, and mom had the Shingles virus kind, so it could be it was in my dna? who knows.

Jules X
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello bounce
    Sorry I wont be much help but 1800mg is an awful lot of gaberpentin not to be working..I think you should ask your GP to refer you to someone else , I think I remember someone on here having a nerve block not sure if this would help..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    You have my sympathy with the neuropathic pain, mine affects both my shoulders and continues down to my fingers in both arms but tends to be worst in my right arm/hand as that's my dominant hand.
    In view of footwear can't you ask to be allowed to wear trainers as a "reasonable adjustment"? Maybe not a bright white or snazzy coloured pair but you can some these days in plain colours like black or grey which look quite "shoe like" if you get my drift.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • bounce
    Options
    Hi Barbara and Slosh.

It is a lot to take a day, but I have only just got onto the 1800mg full on, It everdently takes a week on the new strength to see what the reaction is. My reaction is how do I get these whopping great pills down my throat..... But I will be asking why the big rise in Gaba as when I found out, No letter from them as I get a copy of what they send the Drs, and when I did find out it made my anxiety levels go through the roof. I will be seeing the nurse about something else to be done or someone else to see why the nerve pain has gone bananas, as I just seem to go and more meds see you in 3 months etc etc.

I had been wearing trainers as they were the nicest footwear, but the firm has gone on a strictly uniform and footwear policy and I cant wear my trainers, so with that Im seeing a doctor to see if I can get a note from them to say due to the foot problem it would be best to use my trainers when my footpain goes into overdrive.

We get checked over by the boss to see if we are wearing the right kind of uniform, and being told off if we havent adhered to the uniform code. gosh I feel like im at school again :x

Thank you so much for your advice and help, I really appreciate it. Im still learning to get used to the nerve pain on top of everything, but im getting there though. :-D

Thanks again Barbara and Slosh. XX
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    When my spinal arthritis was bad I had foot pain too, so I can empathise. I am a teacher (science) and also spent a lot of time stood up. I got a perch stool which did help take some weight off the feet. Of course, the pain isn't really in the feet. It is, as you know, coming from the spine. Not that that made much difference! I was on the same dose of gaba as you at the end. It did help - I noticed when I didn't take it, but it didn't get rid entirely.
  • bounce
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Frogmella, Friday I start the 600mg on the 3 times a day, I have the pain clinic on the 22nd, so will be asking a few questions overall about everything going on, You certainly do know if you are late with your next dose, as the feet "wake" up rather quicker then I expected, only 30 minutes later then I normally take that dose and the toes started to kick off quick, but as you say, it doesnt get rid of the pain entirely its just easier to live with. I find it eases the pain a bit more, laying on the sofa with my feet about 12 inches higher on a cushion pile. if it works then I will do it, just for a bit more rest........ and less pain.

But as they say " what doesnt kill you makes you stronger"

I will get on top of this pain, like the other hand pains I had.

Jules. X
  • bounce
    Options
    Hi im giving an update on my big dose of Gabapentin, I have had some of the side effects you can expect, giddy, walking like im drunk and a little bit zoned out. I have now mainly got used to the side effects, and I saw the pain clinic on monday and if it doesnt subside with the side effects im to see the dr with the view of knocking the dose to 500mg 3 times a day.

The only extra thing I notice now that the walking on broken glass part of the feeling in my hands and feet is that my hands and feet are icy cold all the time, I have already found heat holder socks to be wonderful to my tootises, but i cant wear their gloves at work unfortunately. the hospital have said that they will keep increasing the gabapentin to its highest limit then go from there.

I have found out that I have the same medical problem as my dad, so it seems genetics can play a part too.

I have only just found the time for the updating and I would just like to thank everyone that was able to offer some great insight and information. so Thank You very much everyone.

Jules. XXX
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I didn't post on here earlier, Jules, because I don't have neuropathic problems and have never taken gabapentin. Things do seem a little better for you now and I hope that trend continues.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright