Mid-foot arthritis. Why sudden pain?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 5. Feb 2016, 09:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
As some of you will know, I have mid-foot arthritis in my right foot - I know I've banged on about it a lot!

I seem to go from coping pretty well, to being unable to flex my foot at all. I got up this morning and am hobbling around the house again. I'm waiting for an orthotic to be made - and surgery may be in the offing - but wondered why this is the case.

There is no swelling, it just becomes impossible to flex my foot without a great deal of pain. Then it seems to die down a little, before I go through another period of severe pain. I don't think I do anything to make it worse, e.g. no mountain climbing or snowboarding! If I could make any sort of connection, then, of course, I'd stop doing it!

Any ideas?

Meg

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Here's my very unmedical idea, Meg, based on years of personal research :wink:

The arthritic foot is a very complicated, temperamental beast. (As if you didn't know it :roll: ) Just like the non-arthritic foot it contains 26 bones, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles and tendons. Well, I reckon mine probably contain a few less by now as some bones have fused and other bits have probably wasted away from lack of use but you get my drift. It's not so much a matter of 'why did this go wrong?' as 'how on earth does this stay right?'

Everything's – at least in theory – interactive so really it's not surprising that tiny bits change without our knowledge or permission and possibly have a knock-on effect with other tiny bits. My theory of most things is that I probably laid on it 'funny' while asleep and, being asleep, didn't get the feedback to move position. That's my explanation for why my ancient TKR has suddenly and inexplicably gone wrong so I have prescribed myself lots of rest coupled with lots of exercises. (For the first two days I prescribed myself a knee support and that just enabled me to keep on making it worse :lol: ) We go by trial and error – it's a trial and I make a lot of errors :oops:

I hope your foot soon eases itself back into what DD would term 'moderately grotty' and I do hope the orthotic insoles help. The unarthritic world must be soooo boringly predicatable 8)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks for the benefit of your experience and research, Sticky. Yes, I often put things down to 'lying funny' as well!

I hope your TKR improves for you, given the rest and exercises.

Take care.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Firstly, you have not 'banged on' about this: it affects you and that matters. Secondly, my mantra when it comes to matters arthritic is this: 'it is what it is and it will do what it will do'. Having a creaky foot in both camps I can see it from both sides yet still understand neither (acceptance does not need understanding). When people ask me how I am I reply 'Things could be better but I am glad they are not worse.' That usually floors them. :wink:

As Sticky has pointed out there are many reasons why this could be triggered and we may not be aware of any of them. I think that any form of arthritis is a diva beyond the likes of Mariah Carey, Beyoncé or Naomi Campbell etc. They are so fawned upon and indulged they choose to be difficult whereas we are not and have difficulties thrust upon us.

I have no practical help to offer but I hope that things ease soon: if heat helps then warm the naughty bits, if coolth then similarly. Rest the foot as much as you can - do you have some help available if needed? I know I should remember but can't. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks for your kind words and advice, DD. Yes, Mr MR is at home and he is very good, so that makes life easier. He suffers from chronic back pain, so we make a right pair! Thankfully, we're able to hold one another up! :D

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I'm reminded of the time when Mr SW had a left leg injury and my right knee was playing up. We looked like a natural for the 3-legged race :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright