So distressed... Possibility I may lose my job I love!

Options
FionaMary
FionaMary Member Posts: 8
edited 5. Feb 2016, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well... I've hit rock bottom. I'm now having counselling to cope. Just as I thought I was stabilising I had a formal meeting about my capability to carry on working as a nursing assistant. I enjoy my job and was so distressed after the Meeting. I have a set short time period to find another job suitable for my health condition otherwise I will be dismissed and unemployed. I was diagnosed only 3 months ago and just started new treatment! I think it's very unfair and discriminating. I have to not go off sick from now until the next review. I'm doing really well following treatment. I have to prove that the treatment is going well and I'm capable of doing the job. I'm getting better already if they give me a chance. Stress to go on top! They are not helping at all with my wellness. It's like it's your fault you got unwell. Does anyone know how to fight for this or has been through this?? Do I come under disability act? I'm not letting go easily. I will fight for my job with every last bit in me I have. I feel like I'm losing control of my life and independence. Unison are behind me and so are my rheumatology team.
Fiona X

Comments

• rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am so sorry that your employer is behaving like this. I have stopped working (was self employed) and I personally don't think I could handle the sort of stress you are having to deal with to fight as an employee.

I would strongly suggest that you get some advice from the CAB. My husband is an advisor for them and this is the sort of situation they can advise on - it is something they are asked all the time sadly. They can tell you where you stand with regards to disability discrimination and employment rights. At least you are then armed with the right information which I am sure will help you handle the situation.

CAB has a help line or you can meet an advisor at their offices.

I hope this helps and I really hope that things work out for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I, too, am sorry things are so tough for you on so many fronts right now and it must seem very scary and just another loss to add to the pot. However, if both your union and your rheumatologist are willing to fight your corner with you they are powerful allies.

I know nothing about employment rights or discrimination but your union plus, as rayray so rightly points out, CAB will do. You really don't need the stress of all this but, unfortunately, you've got it and it must be dealt with.

Two 'worries' come to mind as you say you are a nursing assistant. One is, might the health and safety of your patients be a factor? Secondly, is your rheumatology team aware of the nature of your work? It's a tough job.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I would also suggest you ask for a referall to,Occupational health
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich