Opinion please... injections and OA

Options
Trea
Trea Member Posts: 28
edited 10. Feb 2016, 14:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,
I am new, lumbar OA (runs in the family though, so some 'experts' at hand) and just have a question for you guys.....
the service in my area is pretty bad unless you educate yourself beforehand and know what you want and need. I had a bad spell and been given a few Naproxen and also been put on the waiting list for injection (not sure which ones but they go into the back, more information will follow when I get them arrrgh). Now the Nap seem to work really well but I understand that ideally they are not taken on a long term basis. My Mum had the injections albeit in a different country so not sure if they are the same (she got some crytals that dissolce very slowly and treat inflammation and pain).
I would really like to hear what you think about it, simply because my next opportunity to speak to a medic will be on the day of the injections and I think hearing all your different views would help me to consider what I need to ask etc.
I usually take BRIAN with me when I see a medic (Benefit, Risk, Instint, Alternative,Nothing) but feel I need to be a bit more prepared for this.
thanks
Trea

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think the ones you are talking about are steroid injections and they work similarly to the naproxen. Nap is an anti-inflammatory also known as an NSAID (non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drug) and can be taken long-term as long as one has a stomach protector too. I have had many steroid injections but only one for OA, which was a few years ago into my right ankle. That worked well for three months and then it all came back (like it does). Steroids are a temporary 'fix' but bring with them a whole host of their own troubles if they are over-used so they are best not regarded as a therapy. I hope this helps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I've no experience of spinal injections but had them in knees and shoulders. I presume they are steroids.

They work well for some but not for all. In fact, there's no guarantee that they will work a second time just because they did the first. (Frankly, with arthrtis, there are no guarantees :roll: ) When steroids work you feel great – maybe even cured. But they don't cur, don't last for ever – weeks or a couple of months – and the tendency is for them to work less the more we have them. Also, steroids bring their own problems. They thin tissues and bones among other things. So, to me, they are always something to fall back on when things are really ad rather than a first resource.

Naproxen? Ideally nothing is taken on a long-term basis but we don't live in a perfect world. For my money, an anti-inflamm such as naproxen, taken with a stomach protector, is a much better long term bet than continuous steroid injections. Mind you, having one to get you on an even keel might be a really good idea. But they might then suggest the nap as a routine thing. I fso, ensure you get the stomach protector.

I hope someone with spinal problems will be along soon because I'm just talking generally and you could do with someone who has had these injections in the spine rather than elsewhere.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Trea
    Options
    Oh guys perfect, thanks for those answers. I assume as well that it is steroids, but will not know for sure till I get the appointment letter. My back was pretty bad when I had the initial appointment but I feel now fine thanks to NSAID and somehow think that maybe that was enough for now? I assume that i had an inflammation and therefore it was painful and limiting my movements and fingers crossed this has now calmed down. Reading other's stories I feel that I would like to try and cope first but need to figure out how quickly I can be referred and access treatment. Will ring GP now..
    Next available telephone call to my GP is in 2 weeks and by that time i will have been without nap for a good week and hopefully able to make a decision
    But keep posting your views, it does help me to search for more info in the right direction
    Ta.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've re-read your post and forgot to thank you for introducing me to the useful companion for appointments, namely BRIAN: what a fantastic mnemonic. :D DD
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Hi Trea,

Definitely get a stomach protector if you're taking naproxen.

They first put me on them almost five years ago and they were probably the best pain reliever I'd ever been on, but they didn't prescribe me a stomach protector; and after four days my stomach was a mess, but my joints were virtually pain free. Alas, I had to come off them, and I was finally prescribed a stomach protector.

After a month without taking any anti-inflams, while my stomach recovered, I was put back on ibuprofen which I had always, previously, been able to tolerate ... but not anymore!

So I am now on stomach protectors permanently, and gone from being on ibuprofen, to diclofenic (which have their own issues with side effects I fortunately avoided), back to Naproxen, but this time with stomach protectors, my OA pain is pretty well controlled now, so I only take the Naps as I need them and I have to take stomach tabs regardless twice a day ... why? Because the gastric reflux the occasional Nap causes is affecting my voice ... which is a whole new issue, unrelated to arthritis.

Take care and good luck
    Scozzie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Trea and welcome to the forum
    I have had the epidural in my lumber and also in my Vertebrae ..you have to lay on your tummy to have them done, the epidural in the back didn't do much but the Vertebrae ones help for around a week ..some of the people having the same done had it 3 times a year and got lots of relief..think I was unlucky, but you have to give them a go to see id they work for you
    Hope you can get some help soon, by the way I was referred to the pain clinic and they got me the injections..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Trea
    Options
    Thanks Scozzie and Barbara,
    I am off the Naps since Sunday eve and I can feel the pain coming back.Am I just daydreaming by hoping that once the inflammation is in control the pain will go/subside/ be bearable?? I am still trying to understand it all.
    Ta
    Trea
  • stickywicket
    Options
    To be blunt...yes, probably. Long term medication isn't good but long term inflammation is worse. The arthritis world is not an ideal one.

Have you run out of the nap or just trying to do without it?

If you have them, take them then discuss what happens next with the G when you can.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    If you have the right anti-inflamm for you then yes, things will feel easier but no more than that. They don't reverse any damage that may have already occurred but they may reduce further damage which is a good thing. They are not, however, that good for long-term use because they bring their own troubles. DD
  • Trea
    Options
    Errm, I am trying to talk to GP, got the Nap from the urgent care centre (and no instructions) and I have about 6 left that I want to safe for bad days tbh. I tried last week to get an appointment with my GP and will be able to phone her on Monday ( They simply have not enough GP's here) so they would have run out anyway...
    I really appreciate your honesty about the inflammation, best to know the truth
    Thanks
    feel well looked after here
    Trea
    [
    Have you run out of the nap or just trying to do without it?

If you have them, take them then discuss what happens next with the G when you can.[/quote]
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm surprised that there are no instructions on the box but as far as I know it's at least one per day and should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach at least 30 minutes before food: if this is a short-term course then there is no need for a stomach protector but it is essential you see a GP sooner rather than later. Don't be a patient patient, stress you need information and maybe another prescription. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I rarely disagree with DD but, especially if you have no stomach protector, I'd always take any NSAID with food as that affords some protection to the stomach. According to one nurse treating me, manufacturers tend to advise taking things on an empty stomach simply because they work quicker that way. I don't know how right she was but, having a very dodgy tum, I take all meds with at least a small amount of food.

If you are in danger of running out of meds and can't get to see the doc, your local pharmacist is always a good source of info. It might be that you could take an over-the-counter NSAID (eg ibuprofen) to tide you over but please don't do this without getting informed advice.
    Steven Wright