restarting methotrexate after a break for anti-biotics

Options
polly123
polly123 Member Posts: 96
edited 6. Feb 2016, 07:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Not been here for ages, i've just been trying to carry on as best i can. I have PsA, reasonably well managed by methotrexate (20mg injection) and a cocktail of lesser things. I'm currently off meth as I take anti-biotics for a persistent chest infection. I've missed a week or two each year due to this, but am into my 4th week this time. Does anyone have any experience of restarting meth after a longer break? Were you able to restart at the same dose?
My gp says she'll need to "look at things" if i'm off for 4-6 weeks, and i'll speak to my reumy nurse too of course.

I have to say that despite each day being a struggle and flare times particularly its a real reminder of the positive impact meth has on my lufe, now that pain and extra stiffness is re-emerging.

Thanks, Polly

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I stopped my meth for three weeks due to a bug then restarted, with the result the bug had another snap at me. My dose is 15ml injected and I have always restarted at that level, the same with the humira (although that is a mighty 40 in one go!)

Any of these meds can take up to three months to fully clear the system so I reckon you will be fine to resume as normal but I am not a doc. It's best to check with rheumatology and I hope you shift this thing soon, it knows how to hang around! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I, too, would check with my rheumatology helpline. I've re-started meth frequently after a break of a week or two at my normal dose. I did once leave it for about 10 weeks before and after an op but I can't remember if I just re-started it at my normal dose or took a smaller one for the first week or two.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • polly123
    Options
    Thanks Guys, yes I will check before starting - assuming I ever get rid of this thing!! I need teflon lung liners :-)

Hope you're both doing ok

Thanks, Polly
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Now there's a thought. Teflon many things could help :lol: Good luck with it all.
    Steven Wright
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Now there's a thought. Teflon many things could help :lol: Good luck with it all.

DIY Teflon inserts and aerosol spray for painful joints...........wouldn't that be great............ :D:D:D
    Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • polly123
    Options
    Yes, was thinking I could just hose the gunk out of my lungs :-)
    Gross I know, have a tendancy to gallows humour encouraged by my kids who all have immune disorders - we have a ball when we get together!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Polly
    Sorry I wont be much help, but just hope you get rig of the infection very soon, and like you say its good to know the Meths are working
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    Options
    DIY Teflon inserts and aerosol spray for painful joints...........wouldn't that be great............ :D:D:D
    Ron

Oddly enough, no.

John Charnley, who invented the hip replacement, used teflon a first but it was too 'sticky' and wore too quickly so he changed it to high density polyyethelene. It's interesting http://www.johncharnleytrust.org/trust/thr.html
    Steven Wright