Back from Jamacia and feeling rubbish!!

Options
bubbadog
bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
edited 12. Feb 2016, 09:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Don't get me wrong we had an amazing holiday and love the place!! But my left shoulder started playing up and now I can hardly move my arm today it hurts so much! My back was sore as well but that has recovered now.
Jamaica was a lovely country and the hotel was stunning, we couldn't do any trips because they weren't disabled friendly but we where happy staying in the hotel being pampered!! The people where so friendly and couldn't do enough for us and some of them remembered our name which would shock us. The food was very good but the entertainment was so-so, we found a lot of the holidaymakers would turn in for the night fairly early like us some nights like us as the day starts pretty early in Jamaica. The weather was mostly good except for a couple of days where it rained and was cloudy.
There weren't many disabled loo's in the hotel! We counted 4!

I've tried to get an appointment for a steroid injection but the earliest one I can get is 24th February, so just got to try and keep it comfortable till then. :(

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh dear! It's very easy, when away from our home comforts and regime, to slide into – sometimes unavoidable – bad habits. I usually return from one son's with an achey back and shoulders because I spend a lot of time there sitting on my wheelchair cushion (for added height so's I can get off again :lol: ) on top of a dining chair. This is too wobbly to properly support my back but at least I retain my independence which I'd lose if I used the sofa as it's much too low for me to get myself off.

I also tend to wreck my old TKR when there, due to his many steps. This year I've got one better and wrecked it before going :roll: However, I'm resting and exercising it every two hours and – dare I whisper it? - I think it might be starting to pay off.

Have you thought of trying exercises for your shoulder? AC have some really useful ones
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis and I'd have thought exercises would be much better for someone with osteoporosis than a steroid jab. I think they've enabled me to avoid steroid jabs completely since my osteoporosis diagnosis. Why not try them while you're waiting?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am so pleased you had a lovely time despite the lack of awareness re disability issues. Mind you, after undertaking an excursion like that I'm not surprised there is the issue of payback - luckily for me I saved a few quid by being grotty at home!!! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    So glad you enjoyed your holiday bubba..but sorry to see you are now paying for it..have you tired the pain gel ..I find the best one to be volt**ol its so easy to over do things on holiday but at least you did it..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you guys, Sticky I have been trying to exercise it daily but the crunching noise has been concerning me. I've got another problem now! My ears popped Friday from the plane journey but my left didn't change and it feels like it's got water in now and I'm a little deaf in it!! My OH is loving it because he can take the micky out of me. So just another day and another problem for me! Gonna give it till the middle of the week and if it's not got better by it's self I will get a Dr's apt.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    My ears (or, usually just the one) frequently pop, or feel muffled for a few days after a transatlantic flight. It's disconcerting but sorts itself out in the end.

As for the shoulder, I can understand where you're coming from. Crunching noises can be scary. But personally I'd still go for it very gently. Lack of movement can be every bit as dodgy as crunchy movement.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    Options
    My ear is working fine again now, sticky you where right it popped back on it's own. And I have been doing little movements with my arm to stop it seizing up, it's very painful and my OH had to help me with showering by washing my hair. He's been great as he knows how painful it is when he saw my face on holiday when I went to try and get something from the wardrobe.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    It might help to heat it gently with a heat pad before taking it through its paces.

Glad the ears sorted themselves :D
    Steven Wright