Steroid injections

Options
amie08
amie08 Member Posts: 14
edited 8. Feb 2016, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey just wondered if anyone has had any post injection infections or issues after a steroid into a joint? Ive had 2 steroids in 2 months and still having a huge issue and now being offered a 3rd steroid which I'm not keen for as worried about the damage it's doing to my knee. I have asked to be sent for a scan but waiting to hear back from the consultant. Feel like I'm fighting a losing battle at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That sounds rather nasty and no wonder you're concerned.

Have I understood you correctly? Are you saying you've had the same joint injected twice (and soon to be done again) or are we talking different joints? What is the 'huge issue' you've had afterwards?

It would be very unusual to give a steroid injection to the same joint twice in two months even in normal circumstances but especially if there was an infection in there. I've never had any infections or any other problems after steroid jabs. Do you take DMARDS or anti-tnfs although I don't think they'd cause problems with steroid jabs.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've never had any issues with steroid injections in that they never worked and didn't cause any problems afterwards. They come with their own risks to the whole body and are not a long-term treatment because they only mask the trouble. I've never had two in two months either in the same joint or different joints, my hospital would not sanction that. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I haven't had any infections off the injections I have had in my hips back and thumbs, but if you are concerned I would certainly mention it to them, and hopefully the scan wont be long then you will have some i8dea of what is going on...good luck
    Love
    Barbara
  • amie08
    Options
    Hey,

I'm talking about the same joint unfortunately! Cant seem to get the doctors/nurses to understand my concern about getting my knee injected again without further investigations. Especially when my CRP results came back clear as did my bloods.

I've been on 400mg ibuprofen for the last 4 months and continually on 30/500 cocodamol. Heat doesnt help or ice.

Such a nightmare!

Xx

• stickywicket
    Options
    You can refuse the injections if you wish. No-one can force you to have them. What were the problems you did have after them?

It seems odd to me that they would keep injecting the same knee and I'd want to know why, especially if the injections had caused problems.

One thing I have learned is that, if you don't ask questions docs presume you don't want to know the answers. many patients don't.
    Steven Wright
  • amie08
    Options
    My knee has just flared straight back up again. Swelling, really painful, hot to touch, i struggle to bend my knee to bend down or get dressed. I'm trying my best to get through to doctors etc but have to go through a **** (excuse the language!) answering machine service and they phone you back within 2 days but can only speak to a rheumatology nurse and mine is not helpful at all! Tried going to consultants secretary but he passed it back to nurse!

• stickywicket
    Options
    If my joints flare after a steroid jab (though I haven't had one in years) I've just presumed that the jab didn't work. Sometimes they don't. I wouldn't consider that repeating the process was either worthwhile or good.

Was your knee drained before the jab( s)?

In your situation, unless the consultant had specifically asked for the jabs to be repeated, I'd forget about then and go down the physio route - gentle range-of-movement ones first, building up to the strengthening ones.

If your bloods are OK then there's no point in rheumatology increasing your DMARDS or anti-tnfs. In fact, if your bloods are OK, rheumatology might feel it's not their problem. Have you tried your GP?
    Steven Wright
  • amie08
    Options
    Yeah i had 60mls taken off my knee the first time then a further 20mls the second time but more could have been taken out but nurse didn't want to push it kinda thing.

I've been back to the gp numerous times but keep getting bumped back to rheumatology. Was referred to physio by the gp but apparently has a 4 month waiting list!

I have fibromyalgia as well so part of me is wondering whether the doctors are putting some of it down to that but fibro doesnt cause joints to swell.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This is not an issue the GP would deal with - if it was for OA then maybe but not an auto-immune which is why you are referred to rheumatology. It sounds to me as though it hasn't worked and if the 'issue' you referred to is the return of the swelling then that would confirm it.

Any form of steroid thins every tissue of the body, it doesn't target the naughty bits alone. It doesn't address the underlying condition either, it masks rather than helps. It would appear that you are not being properly controlled by your current medication. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    So, is it the rheumatologist who has ordered these repeat injections? If so, why?

I think exercises would be a much safer bet that a third in such a short time. You don't need a physio provided you go very carefully and gently at first. The key is 'little and often'.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/218-exercise-and-arthritis
    Steven Wright