Rollators and Walkers

Options
Trownail1
Trownail1 Member Posts: 2
edited 8. Feb 2016, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
This is my first time and have just typed a long question only for my computer to freeze up before I could send it so I will try again but keep it brief.
I have trouble using my rollator/walker due to my osteoarthritis in my shoulders making my arms really ache and painful, I have tried different heights to no avail, thinking of contacting manufacturers to see if they can help. I find it easier when I push my great granddaughter in her pushchair which, in my view, suggests that maybe a clip-on bar across the front to hold onto instead of the handles.
Any ideas would be really welcome or manufacturers or budding inventors could surely come up with something as I really need to use my legs more and my scooter does not help with that.
By the way I am a widow and 76 and live on my own so need to get out more.
Regards trownail

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Trownail

Welcome to the forums where I'm sure you will get a lot of help and good advice from all the lovely people on here.

It is a little quiet being the weekend, but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help.

We are here if you need any support to do with using the forums. Many of the mods have some of the many varieties of arthritis and we all know about the feelings that go along with having it.

Do read and post across the different topics that you will find here.
    All best wishes
    Mod B
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi trownail and welcome to the forum :)

I'm afraid I've no experience with rollators but I do understand the need to try things out beforehand to see what works. (I guess you can't take your great-granddaughter everywhere with you :wink: ) Clearly there is something about a pushchair – or her particular pushchair – which works for you where your rollator doesn't – larger, or more articulated, wheels perhaps?

Do you have a good Disability Store nearby where you could try out different models? Sometimes the people who work there can actually be quite informed as to what works for who. Alternatively, an Occupational Therapist might understand which features you need to look for. (You can self-refer by contacting your local government adult social care dept.

I'm sure others who use rollators will be along soon. I hope you can find something to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I use a rollator for longer trips out due to my two arthritises affecting my toes, ankles, knees, hips, elbows, wrists and shoulders. I began with the standard four wheeled seated square type but found that affected my posture as I had to walk 'behind' it. I 'upgraded' to another which is an L shape, meaning I walk between the two Ls - my posture is more upright and my walking better. I do not lean on my rollator at all, it is there to offer support and to aid my balance.

I am now considering upgrading again as my current one is showing wear and tear - plus my husband gave it a service and I feel rather unsafe! I am considering one called Let's Go Out, it has much larger wheels plus some suspension but I have not been able to try one locally as yet. My excellent Co-op disability store closed a couple of years ago, they would happily order things for customers to try, the remaining disability store in my area is staffed by Plymouth Brethren and they are unhelpful to say the least.

If you find a pram easier why not get one of those? My late father in law loved supermarket trolleys for the same reason, the horizontal bar but he refused to use a rollator. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Welcome to Arthritis Care forum and our big family,I have like an 'n' shaped rollater and suffer with my left shoulder which has arthritis in it so when it plays up I use the bar that's in front. It isn't the best way to use it, so I understand your problem. It is surprising what these mobility comes up with so I'm sure they will find a solution for you.