Rheumatology tomorrow am. Advice, please.

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 9. Feb 2016, 13:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
In December 2015, I think, when I was Megrose and not Megrose2 :shock: I was referred back to the rheumatologist by my GP regarding trochanteric bursitis, which I've had for over two years. I saw her at the injection clinic, she didn't have my notes and she was extremely busy. So, she injected one hip, which, unfortunately, didn't make any difference at all. I later found the copy letter she had written to my GP last March, when she had last injected my hips - and both of my OA thumb joints - and she had used Marcane on my hips, which worked wonderfully, but she obviously didn't use it that time - as she didn't have my notes!

At the injection clinic, as she was too busy to hold any sort of conversation with me, she said she would write to my GP and he could re-refer me if he wanted me to see her again at the normal clinic. A month later, out of the blue, I received an appointment with her, which is for tomorrow. I don't know if she wrote to my GP, or just decided to give me another appointment.

So, firstly, can you tell me if a rheumatologist is the usual person to deal with trochanteric bursitis? The appointment at the injection clinic wasn't a particularly good one as I did feel, rightly or wrongly, as though I was wasting her time and taking her away from people who were really ill.

My OA thumb joints are now extremely painful again and, overall, I've had a total of seven injections into my left basal joint. Would it be in order to ask about further injections for these? Would she be able to advise me as to whether surgery would be a good option? Or is she the wrong person to speak to about this?

You can probably tell that I feel as though I'm walking a little on eggshells here. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Meg

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is such a difficult area and I understand how nattering it can be. You want to 'get it right' but don't know what 'right' consists of here. Unfortunately, neither do I. I suspect much may depend on how your own particular hospital works.

My hospital has always had injection clinics manned by junior docs (for jabs into joints) whom you never see before or after and / or a rheumatology nurse for jabs into the rear. The rheumatologist doesn't deal with them at all so it'd be pointless to ask anything.

I don't even know who would normally deal with trochanteric bursitis. My guess is a rheumatologist if one is seeing one and an orthopaedic consultant if one is seeing one of those. You can ask about the other joints or, at least, ask who you should ask. I suspect the hospital may want to say the GP and vice versa as it may well boil down to who pays. Many things do now.

As for what was injected – don't assume that, because the second one didn't work it was because it was a different injection. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. That seems to be all there is to it. You can try explaining to her but it might not make any difference.

You were not 'wasting her time' last visit and certainly not 'taking her away from people who were really ill'. Your health is as important as anyone else's. I expect she was having a tough day maybe on the work front or the home front or her own health front or any amount of potential other fronts. She's a human being. She has off days. That's all. Let's hope tomorrow will be different.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you, Sticky. I'll let you know how I get on.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh crikey, this is a complicated area and I don't know the answer. Of course you are walking on eggshells, who wouldn't be in your shoes? I reckon I would ask whoever I see about whatever is fretting me, my thinking being that they may be able, hopefully, to point me in the right direction for answers.

If you need pocket duties I will be available. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Doesn't sound like an ideal appointment, but I guess as others have said you don't know what the doc was dealing with on other levels, I'm sure they wouldn't have wanted you to leave feeling as they did. Try to approach tomorrow as a clean page and be clear about what you need to know, I sometimes find it helpful to write myself simple notes, including what symptoms I'm having, for how long etc.

Certainly mu rheumy has dealt with my own ongoing trochanteric bursitis. Like you I've had them injected twice, the first time much more effectively than the second, and I'm currently pondering ringing the rheumy help line about it again as I'm getting very little sleep due to the pain. I tried speaking to my GP about it and their solution was stronger pain killers that I'm very wary of.

Hope the appointment is successful and you get the help and advice you need.

Deb
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you DD. At the moment there are two areas I am bothered about - the bursitis and my thumb joints, so I'll mention those. I've also got an appointment with the Occupational Therapist, after I've seen the rheumatologist, to get a thumb splint for my left hand.

The rheumatologist did take some bloods when I last saw her, but, I presume that if there was anything amiss they would have got back to me before now.

So, we'll see what happens. I would appreciate pocket duties, DD, thank you for your kind offer, as I will be going on my own. There will be plenty of room in my big pockets if anyone else wants to hop on board!

Thank you also for your reply, Deb. I'll make a few notes tonight, just to focus my mind. Sorry to hear that you've got trochanteric bursitis, too. It's a rotten pain, isn't it? I know what you mean about being offered stronger painkillers, I'm not keen either. I hope you manage to get your bursitis sorted out so that you get some sleep, at least.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'll come along too, if I may. I promise to be quiet and good :)
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Of course you may come, Sticky, but I don't expect you to be quiet and good! That's not much fun! This is classed as a day out for me, with tea and buns for all! :D

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good luck for today, I'm nicely settled in thank you! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Good luck, meg. Me too :D
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Well, I feel it was a good appointment. I saw the main man, not the rheumatologist I had seen before. He told me there was a school of thought that trochanteric bursitis didn't exist and it was really a part of fibromyalgia, which I also have! So, that was a surprise. He also wondered if the pain was coming from my back, so has referred me for an MRI to check my spine. If the MRI shows a problem, then I could have a steroid injection into the spine. :shock: However, if the MRI is clear - which he believes it will be - he mentioned the pain clinic, so we'll see what happens. I did slip a disc twenty-five years ago and still, occasionally, get sciatica down the right leg.

I held up my poorly thumbs and he is referring me directly to the hand surgeon at the hospital, who is supposed to be very good. So, two more appointments coming up, but I'm hoping that things are going to start improving one way or another!

Thank you for your support. :D

Meg
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Really pleased to hear that you got a positive result from your appointment. Now comes the wait for the next appointments. Time for a cuppa and relax now perchance!

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    That sounds better. I'm so pleased for you.
    Steven Wright