OA hips

Options
purplejoanne
purplejoanne Member Posts: 24
edited 11. Feb 2016, 09:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I have OA in both hips which over the last 2 years as progressively got worse. I am know having pain and swelling in my knee and shooting pains down my shin. I just wondered if anyone else was having the same symptoms and if its related to hips.
Thanks.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    When any joint is out of kilter it alters the way we move - usually in a vain attempt to ease pain and discomfort. This has a knock-on effect onto other joints throwing them out of kilter too. My troubles began in my knees (thanks to my auto-immune arthritis) and the damage that caused has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and now my hips are joining in - the shin pain is a doozy at times! I suspect this is what is happening to you so it may be sensible to go and see your GP - are you taking any anti-inflammatory medication? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • purplejoanne
    purplejoanne Member Posts: 24
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    When any joint is out of kilter it alters the way we move - usually in a vain attempt to ease pain and discomfort. This has a knock-on effect onto other joints throwing them out of kilter too. My troubles began in my knees (thanks to my auto-immune arthritis) and the damage that caused has led to OA in both ankles, both knees and now my hips are joining in - the shin pain is a doozy at times! I suspect this is what is happening to you so it may be sensible to go and see your GP - are you taking any anti-inflammatory medication? DD

Thank you for answering my message, yes I take Naproxen twice a day plus paracetamol over the course of the day. I did wonder if its due to how I am walking. But I will go and see my doctor as the pain in my shin is keeping me awake at night.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You're welcome and I hope others reply soon. I trust you also have a stomach protector (the usual ones are Lansaprazole or Omeprazole) to be taken at least 30 minutes before the naproxen because that can be very harsh on the guts. I've never had much success with paracetamol alone as a pain duller, I take 30/500 cocodamol and they provide enough relief to allow me to carry on with things.

Pain is part-and-parcel of this dross, it's not right but it's how things are. :( DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Hi purplejoanne

After requesting an MRI scan over a year ago,it was found I had a herniated disc in the L5/S1 position.

However I didn't think all my pain was due to this.I had great pain in my knee (which was slightly swollen but not excessively so),also in my buttock and lower back.A hip xray showed the hip was 'knackered'.

Saw the orthopaedic surgeon just recently.He saw my xray and agreed the hip needed replacement even if some of the pain may have been referred from my back.

However my brother prior to hip replacement also suffered pain in his buttock and lower back.
    A friend (an expert in replacement surgery,having two new hips,a knee and a shoulder!) also suffered great pain in her knee when her hip needed replacement.

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello purplejoanne
    I was just going to say but Ron got there before me, ask for an MRI of your back, I have had one hip replaced and it went well, but still got the pain down my leg from my back..you can also get referred pain in the knee coming from the hip, they are cautious at doing my other hip because my back is in a bad way, but I am hoping it will make a difference if I am not limping has much..
    Love
    Barbara