“How do I love thee?”

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 15. Feb 2016, 16:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
“Let me count the ways” said Elizabeth Barrett Browning. My unpoetic version would run:-

1. I love thee for washing my hair (and then, unceremoniously, scrubbing my ears dry). :balloon:

2. I love thee for washing my feet then getting to the difficult-to-reach bits with white spirit and a cotton bud :be-my-valentine:

3. I love thee for pushing my wheelchair and only occasionally grunting and asking if I've put weight on :heart_eyes:

4. I love thee for administering my steroid nasal spray and only shoving the entire applicator up my nose when the beer has flowed a little too freely :heart_eyes:

5. I love thee for zipping me up before I go-go anywhere :valentine:

6. I love thee for standing guard outside public loos when I can't manage to lock them and for mostly not wandering off to chat to someone :i-love-you:

7. I love thee for sitting me down and lifting me up off low loos and always closing the toilet door first – once reminded :balloon:

8. I love thee for putting a woolly hat on my head in cold weather, only grumbling mildly when I ask that my hair should be left pointing downwards not up at the back and for always lifting it back above my eyes when requested :be-my-valentine:

9. I love thee for washing my back and just wish you could accept that I am unable to stop myself from screeching when you rinse it off from the shower with water which you insist is barely warm and my back insists is red hot :raining-love:

10. I love thee for sticking with me for 48 years – the good, the bad and the ugly. We've done OK, haven't we? :valentine-heart:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Sticky, what a wonderful glimpse of 'Life with the Stickywickets' this provides!

There are a fair few on here who are fortunate with their other halves and I am one of them - I pushed things to a far-flung limit with my double carpal tunnel operation (my Ma termed it a double carnal tunnel operation which made my eyes bulge) but he and me survived it, thanks to both having a good sense of humour! Trust me it was needed. :lol: DD

:raining-love: This is for both of you because that has to be what has brought you this far. What did Shakespeare write? Love does not alter no matter what alteration it finds - or summat like that.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Brilliant has usual SW..
    I am another one blessed with an hubby that does so much for me..yes he grunts but I nagged ... :balloon: well sometimes..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Options
    Oh Sticky, you made my day lovely with early morning laughter. Thank you!
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    That is wonderful.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Thank you Sticky, what a wonderful post. I would add I love thee for knowing when I'm too weary and worn down to cook and taking me out to eat, and I love thee early in the morning when you take the dog out for a walk and leave me in bed with a cup of tea and a good book and the instruction to " have a snooze, you've had a rough night". :raining-love:

Deb x
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    That is so lovely, Sticky, it made me feel quite emotional.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments. He and I have never been big on sloppy cards but, at the end of the day, what he IS big at is far more important even if he doesn't get things quite right all the time :lol: I shall hang on to him. I'm far too old to go breaking a new one in now :wink:

DD, I remember your double 'carnal' tunnel op. (Ouch :shock: ) Am I right in thinking a humble clothes peg featured occasionally :oops:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    That made me laugh! And reminded me of what my OH was like on holiday. Especially standing outside the loo's while I went. Great idea sticky! :balloon:
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Brilliant Sticky!